+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: whats the weak link in my system

I'm Deleted.

I think a number of excellent points have already been made in this thread. What would be the next step for your system really does depend on a whole host of personal factors; such as, what quality have you heard in other systems that you feel is missing from yours, does something specifically bother you, is your room setup optimal etc?

As some may know, I also use a pair of NS-1000Ms (as does a friend) and have heard them in a number of different environments and used with quite a numerous number of different amplification setups. My personal taste is for powerful solid sate - in fact I have ended up with 675wpc into 4 Ohms! I have heard the Yamaha’s with a number of valve amps but, although they work just fine, the bass has never felt right to me (I haven’t heard a very powerful valve amp through them - but such amps are expensive). Personally I would look at replacing your amplification. Your pre-amp may be the exception but Nakamichi amplification never did anything for me in the past. I would also say that the Rock TT has a dry, damped, quality that some love - but you may not actually be one of them - are you sure it is to your taste?
    Account Deleted

I'm jamie.

ok a bit more info,
    digital sources are fine,with analogue ive had this feeling of there's something not right,(all be it minor) since going from the 2m black to the decca cartridge.
    the 3 things that have not changed in this has been the amp,the tonearm and the pre amp and the speakers.

ok lets say the tonearm needs a service or the bearings are worn,what detrimental affects would i hear?
    option 2 the amp isn't a good match for the speakers,again what would i hear?
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    I think a number of excellent points have already been made in this thread. What would be the next step for your system really does depend on a whole host of personal factors; such as, what quality have you heard in other systems that you feel is missing from yours, does something specifically bother you, is your room setup optimal etc?

As some may know, I also use a pair of NS-1000Ms (as does a friend) and have heard them in a number of different environments and used with quite a numerous number of different amplification setups. My personal taste is for powerful solid sate - in fact I have ended up with 675wpc into 4 Ohms! I have heard the Yamaha’s with a number of valve amps but, although they work just fine, the bass has never felt right to me (I haven’t heard a very powerful valve amp through them - but such amps are expensive). Personally I would look at replacing your amplification. Your pre-amp may be the exception but Nakamichi amplification never did anything for me in the past. I would also say that the Rock TT has a dry, damped, quality that some love - but you may not actually be one of them - are you sure it is to your taste?
    ive not heard any other systems to compare mark, i enjoy the TT alot,it was an upgrade from my direct drive pioneer, again ive not heard any turntables to compare,its very lonely down south lol
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Deleted.

Your point about something not seeming quite right since moving to the Decca does rather put a question mark after that change of cartridge. I have a Decca Gold in my cartridge collection and whilst it is super fast sounding it is rather dry and, almost, clinical.

If the amps aren’t in total control the bass becomes a bit detached with the NS-1000Ms, it sounds slower and softer in character than the rest of the frequency range.

If it is the arm bearings then the top end lacks texture and on climaxes there can be an edgy quality (though both the cartridge and amplification could also do this).
    Account Deleted

I'm jamie.

hmm interesting,the decca has been sold,replaced by a cadenza black,its almost as if the better the quality of cartridge,the more it shows up the niggle.
    perhaps the cheapest 1st option would be to get J7 to look at the arm?
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    ive not heard any other systems to compare mark, i enjoy the TT alot,it was an upgrade from my direct drive pioneer, again ive not heard any turntables to compare,its very lonely down south lol
    Ah well, therein lies your issue I’m afraid . Your Pioneer was OK but not that special in the overall scheme of things. Your Rock is a significant step up but then so would lots of other decks have been. What you really need to do is get out and hear a lot more equipment and systems. In the past NS-1000Ms have been part of a number of systems at the Wam organised Scalford show (three different pairs a couple of years back). The Wam is under radically new ownership now and next years Show is at a new venue so I don’t know how it will turn out (well I hope) but you really should arrange to visit.
    Account Deleted

I'm Deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    hmm interesting,the decca has been sold,replaced by a cadenza black,its almost as if the better the quality of cartridge,the more it shows up the niggle.
    But what actually is the ‘niggle’?
    Account Deleted

I'm jamie.

its hard to describe,id say the top end can sound a bit brittle
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Deleted.

Female voices at the top of their range?
    Account Deleted

I'm jamie.

not when listening to pink floyd lol
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

+ Reply to Thread