+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: whats the weak link in my system

I'm jamie.

Default whats the weak link in my system

as above,
    so what area should i concentrate on improving?
    small changes or big?
    equipment is in my signature,dont worry about the cd player im focusing on analogue.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

Bigman80 Guest

Well having experience with the Sony ES range and the Alphason tonearm I'd suggest changing them both.

Crofts and Firebottle amps are superior to the Sony by a mile.

The Alphason at my house never got the level this AT1010 has. Admittedly this is a fettled arm but I'd never go back. Problem here is probably the damping trough.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm jamie.

whats wrong with you damping trough or do you mean mine on the rock?
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

Bigman80 Guest

I mean I don't know it you can use an AT1010 with the trough on the rock. . I haven't researched it

I'm James.

I would replace the Sony and Nakamichi with a better amplification set up. Valve would be good.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I would replace the Sony and Nakamichi with a better amplification set up. Valve would be good.
    anything in particular? ive not got a clue lol
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I have no first-hand knowledge of your speakers but from what I have read I would say something with at least four el34 tubes. Plenty of power and taut grip.

As with all of this HiFi thing someone will be along shortly to offer a different opinion and you'll be back at square one.

Try and borrow a valve amplifier and have a listen maybe.

I'm James.

Well I would recommend maybe a Firebottle set up maybe, I have heard his KIN preamp which has MC stage which is very good and his Vivant phono is excellent.

If you had plenty of cash then I would recommend Nick Gorhams amps especially his phono stage.

But if you wanted to go down another route I would recommend an old Croft Charisma, Epoch or Charisma X and have them upgraded as Marco, Rexton and Blackadder have done. You would have something quite special if you went this way but you would need a head amp or SUT.

Or you could try a Croft 25 line stage with a Croft RIAA R phono stage and a Croft 7R or mono blocks plus head amp. This would sound superb. There are dealers around who could loan you this equipment to try. Dave Radlett?

These are all valve recommendations and would be the only way I would go but of course SS boys may have other ideas. Actually I have heard a simaudio moon integrated SS and this was very good indeed as is all Simaudio's equipment.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Dan.

Much as i love Sony ES Gear - i would have say the amplifiers also - i hear NS1000's need current to drive them properly the worlds your oyster valves maybe the way to go...
    Receiver
    1980 Yamaha CR 2020
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Marantz 6005 , Beresford Caiman , Paul Hynes SR4
    Loudspeakers
    Rogers LS7

Secondary
    Sony HCD SD1 Receiver with built in CD Player
    Mordaunt Short MS10
    Sony SA CS1 Subwoofer

Bigman80 Guest

Personally, the addition of valves has changed music for me. It's made it better in a way that's hard to describe. Emotion and atmosphere are added and a sensation of feeling the music. Personally, I'll never go back to SS, No matter who makes it.

The Vivant is so much better than it was thanks to the mods. Its now excellent.

The Croft phonostage i heard at Jimbos was divine. Simply sumptuous but incredibly capable of delivering that last echelon of insight. It inspired me to get more from my own system.

The Jolida I have here is ultimately still here because of how good it is. It loses no ground to either imo and is at least half price if you can find one. Important to note, the stock version wouldn't match the performance levels of this Jolida, the Vivant or the croft. Mods are required but not expensive. Well, the Valves are.

Most importantly, keep the nak for comparison if you can. It would be terrible if you sold it and weren't happy with its replacement.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast