+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Caiman SEG “supercap upgrade” - [emoji106]

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Stephen.

Default Caiman SEG “supercap upgrade” - 👍

A few weeks ago I bought a new “high end” 15v linear PSU for my SEG and Stan very kindly offered to “tweak” it to take full advantage of the capabilities of the new PSU.
    This involved fitting 47000uF super capacitors to achieve a higher dynamic ceiling for the discrete output stage, before the onset of clipping from the power supply level (if I understood correctly). 🤯
    Arrived and installed today. First impressions straight out the box were disappointing with “overblown” bass and a somewhat aggressive forward presentation. I didn’t like it 🤢

However,after 3 or so hours of “burn in/warm up” things changed dramatically for the better
    Compared to my standard SEG the bass is fuller and goes deeper but more importantly it’s resolving low volume low frequency stuff I’d never heard before. This improved resolution isn’t just confined to the bass areas - there’s a noticeable improvement in fine detail with guitar and piano pieces where individual plucked strings/keys are audible within the mix rather than tending to bleed into each other. Nick Cave’s The Boatman’s Call demonstrates this perfectly. This results in a more musical experience which extends across multiple types of music (flamenco, Rod & Gab, Einaudi, Lightnin Hopkins, Floyd,Jan Garbarek etc etc).

I’m currently listening to Flamenco Arabe 2 (loads of complex strings, wind, vocals and percussion) - I’ve heard music of this genre live loads of times in Andalusia and Morocco and the sounds I’m hearing this evening take me as close as I’ve ever been to that live sound. It really is that good.

In a nutshell the SEG SUPERCAP sounds significantly better than the standard SEG which was already bloody good so my thanks Stan

I should add that these benefits were heard using both CD and Bluetooth streaming as sources.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by worrasf; 24-11-2017 at 21:29.
    Always a little further

+ Reply to Thread