+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Caiman SEG “supercap upgrade” - [emoji106]

I'm Jerry.

I received my SEG back from Stan with the Supercap upgrade and found the sound quality, out of the box dull and lifeless. It took about five days to really sound better but it was worth the wait. Bass noted are not deeper but there is more bite or attack to the presentation. Greater sense of 'being there'. A nice improvement.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

It does take a few days for the supercaps to burn in, especially since they are composed of a solid dielectric. The bass will improve in depth in another few days, assuming that your speakers can go deeper...

I'm Jerry.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    It does take a few days for the supercaps to burn in, especially since they are composed of a solid dielectric. The bass will improve in depth in another few days, assuming that your speakers can go deeper...
    Hope not-floorstanding transmission line speakers have more than enough bass as it is.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

It's very useful with DVD audio tracks, which go lower than the 20Hz audio tracks. The Jurasic Park movies are good examples, as well as Transformers, Despicable Me, etc.

I'm TAD.

Stan,
    Your observations on bass using a revised SEG are confirmed. I have quite a few Blu ray music /video concert discs and I've had to adjust my REL bass speakers slightly because the bass output appears to be stronger. More testing / listening required. Lucky to have the 15volt option on my power supply.
    Regards,
    T.

I'm Jerry.

Living in New Zealand, the opportunity to listen to many of the quality Dacs available is limited (and they are even more expensive to import).
    I have to rely on reviews and opinions.

I read on one of the pages, one poster considered the Caiman SEG Dac to be better than their Mytek Brooklyn (US$2000).
    According to the Darko Index, the Brooklyn is a very good product.

Is the SEG that good?
    And how much better will it be after adding the Coherent PSU with supercaps, and Tony's Stage 1/2 Dac mods?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234