+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Caiman SEG “supercap upgrade” - [emoji106]

I'm Stephen.

Default Caiman SEG “supercap upgrade” - 👍

A few weeks ago I bought a new “high end” 15v linear PSU for my SEG and Stan very kindly offered to “tweak” it to take full advantage of the capabilities of the new PSU.
    This involved fitting 47000uF super capacitors to achieve a higher dynamic ceiling for the discrete output stage, before the onset of clipping from the power supply level (if I understood correctly). 🤯
    Arrived and installed today. First impressions straight out the box were disappointing with “overblown” bass and a somewhat aggressive forward presentation. I didn’t like it 🤢

However,after 3 or so hours of “burn in/warm up” things changed dramatically for the better
    Compared to my standard SEG the bass is fuller and goes deeper but more importantly it’s resolving low volume low frequency stuff I’d never heard before. This improved resolution isn’t just confined to the bass areas - there’s a noticeable improvement in fine detail with guitar and piano pieces where individual plucked strings/keys are audible within the mix rather than tending to bleed into each other. Nick Cave’s The Boatman’s Call demonstrates this perfectly. This results in a more musical experience which extends across multiple types of music (flamenco, Rod & Gab, Einaudi, Lightnin Hopkins, Floyd,Jan Garbarek etc etc).

I’m currently listening to Flamenco Arabe 2 (loads of complex strings, wind, vocals and percussion) - I’ve heard music of this genre live loads of times in Andalusia and Morocco and the sounds I’m hearing this evening take me as close as I’ve ever been to that live sound. It really is that good.

In a nutshell the SEG SUPERCAP sounds significantly better than the standard SEG which was already bloody good so my thanks Stan

I should add that these benefits were heard using both CD and Bluetooth streaming as sources.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by worrasf; 24-11-2017 at 21:29.
    Always a little further

I managed to get a small quantity of the components to do the upgrade. So if anyone with a 15V power supply is interested in this mod, just PM me for more details.

I'm Andrew.

So, whats supposed to be the best way of powering the SEG. The ankaka battery or a 15V linear PSU?
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Stephen.

Default Caiman SEG “supercap upgrade” - 👍

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    So, whats supposed to be the best way of powering the SEG. The ankaka battery or a 15V linear PSU?
    IMO having used both, the best by far is with a high quality LPSU such as the Nick Gorham (Long Dog Audio) LPSU I purchased from MCRU
    Last edited by worrasf; 03-12-2017 at 22:53.
    Always a little further

I'm Gareth.

Very interesting. I use this linear PSU configured with a 15v & 5v output:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2016NEW-S1...8AAOSwFqJWjSiU

PM sent to Stan.

I'm tony.

Was this on cans or your full rig-just out of interest?

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by wee tee cee View Post
    Was this on cans or your full rig-just out of interest?
    Full rig. TBH not tried with cans yet (I use the Capella for these)

Always a little further

I'm Bill.

Just ordered a Longdog PSU, should be arriving at the end of the week!

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourneendboy View Post
    Just ordered a Longdog PSU, should be arriving at the end of the week!
    I think you will be very pleased with the improvement it brings -

Always a little further

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Both are equally excellent to my ears, and many others are of the same opinion. But the 15V option does allow for a better dynamic range, which is further exploited by the SEG mod.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast