+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new speakers...

I'm Rob.

Default My new speakers...

Hello All,

After visiting Geoff’s (Oldius) house for a listen to his system and taking his advice, I then left on the lookout for new speakers, he gave me a few vintage makes to consider, that were on the warmer side: Castle, Ruark and KEF. I can’t remember his exact words, but I left in particular with the impression that the KEF Reference 103.2s would be very worthwhile speakers to own.

A few weeks later I got my chance on Ebay for £230 and here they are.

They're very much in decent condition considering their age and have had new crossovers professionally done.

I will do a write up on them soon and post it.

I've bodged together a new binding post arrangement using 10mm thick plywood, I just couldn't live with those Currys/Dixons own brand type nasty cheapo hifi kit things.

Last edited by meBob; 25-11-2017 at 15:29.

Bigman80 Guest

Very nice! How do they sound?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Alan.

Good move with the binding posts though they do look a little close to each other.

To be on he safe side I think I'd fit a plastic sleeve to one of the posts, just in case of rogue wire strands or paper clips or anything that could short the two together.

Lovely veneer

I'm Geoff.

If the posts were mounted on the small plate diagonally instead of horizontally, they could be further apart.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

id get some shrink on the plugs, or at least insulating tape.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

They are class speakers. For me, one of the very best bookshelf designs with a beautifully balanced sound. I do hope the crossovers are original specification though!
    I'm so pleased you felt the visit worthwhile. All the best and keep us informed.
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

I'm Rob.

Hello Bigman80,

When I first took them out of the box (even though I’d seen them on ebay) I didn’t exactly embrace them, looks wise I’ve gotten use to the black stealth look that all my modern kit usually has rather than the vintage look. Within a few minutes of starting them up I was smiling and hugging them!

They sound special.

They’re capable of playing with a gorgeous warmth with Bob Dylan and then with classical pieces giving a hugely detailed presentation.

I was initially listening to them through a Marantz PM6003 budget amp and they sucked every bit of soundstage, detail and bass out that amp. I’ve since moved on to a vintage flagship amp, It’s now a whole different ball park I’m in.

I’ll do a proper write up of these over the coming days.
    Last edited by meBob; 25-11-2017 at 15:35.

I'm Rob.

Hello firebottle, walpurgis and struth,

Yes, the post are closer than I’d like them to be, but there is just about enough separation.

The actual piece of ply I’ve used is only 5.5cm across (it looks a fair bit larger in the picture) and the area available to place the binding post into is only 3cm.

“Measure twice cut once”, I measured these 4 times!

I'm Rob.

Hello Geoff,

Most definitely a worthwhile experience that visit.

I’ve only got the previous owners word for it about the crossovers, but these speakers do sound simply marvellous, just been listening to Cowboy Junkies, Trinity session ‘To love is to bury’. There’s a beautiful floated feeling about the sound, it sounds good.

Here’s a picture of the crossovers:

Last edited by meBob; 25-11-2017 at 15:32.

I'm Geoff.

Oh. Push on spade connectors. They'll be telling you off for leaving those in there!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast