+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Valve DAC recommendation for Croft 25/7 and Harbeth

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by loonytunes View Post
    No I've never heard a 2Qute in my system - I would have assumed the sound to be a tad better with the convenience in that it's more of a seperates Hi-Fi piece than a headphone amp (I will never use the Mojo with headphones). Perhaps the battery sourced power gives the Mojo a little more of an advantage than connectivity to the mains?

More disturbingly however is when you say 'when I had the Croft Pre/Power' - what surely do you have to better this combo (if realistically possible) now?
    I sold the Croft amps around a month ago. Still not sure why but there you go.

Using a Sugden integrated into my Proac SM100’s. On balance I prefer the Sugden very slightly. It can’t do what the Croft’s can in some ways but it does feel more balanced in my system.

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    I'd be cautious of Chord DACs, I had a DAC64 and it was the total opposite of what you'd expect from a valve DAC.

I had fantastic results with the Audio Note DAC 0.1x which in my opinion punches well above its weight. So much so that I went down the more expensive Audio Note route - but the combination of valves and the non-oversampling approach is common across the Audio Note range and if you look inside the 0.1x has some pretty nice Audio Note components. It has SPDIF input as well as USB which is handy.

Anyway I'd recommend wholeheartedly.
    I’ve heard nothing but good things about the .1 DAC and have tried to find one s/h to no avail. Cannot afford the new price of one.

I'm Geoff.

I took a Bryston DAC2 to a couple of bakeoffs and it comfortably saw off an AN DAC and a Lampizator 4.

I no longer own the Bryston so there's no axe to grind but it wasn't close. The rooms were shocked. I don't know the AN model but it was costlier than the Bryston and the Lampizator was dearer again.
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by oldius View Post
    I took a Bryston DAC2 to a couple of bakeoffs and it comfortably saw off an AN DAC and a Lampizator 4.

I no longer own the Bryston so there's no axe to grind but it wasn't close. The rooms were shocked. I don't know the AN model but it was costlier than the Bryston and the Lampizator was dearer again.
    Let me guess, the Bryston had a much better top end, dynamics & more transparent sound. :P
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Manicatel View Post
    I love my Jolida valve dac. Its been modded a bit with different valves & upgraded caps etc, but even in standard form its blooming good. No way is it lush/soft or blurred leading edges.
    No remote control, but hard to find fault with, other than that.
    +1.

But the case is pretty horrid. Then again it is cheap. Sonically A for that money, though.

I tried to buy one two days ago off here but was just popped to the post.

I was going to re-house it and dump some copper paper in oil Jupiter caps in it etc etc just for kicks and use in a 2nd system. But it is good enough for use in the main one. Which is surprising.

I'm Chris.

The link I posted earlier on this thread (http://www.doge.audio/products/tube-...ge-7-tube-dac/) - for Doge Audio products are from ex-Jolida engineers if that's of any interest.

Although I'm quite content with the improvements given from the Mojo, I do wonder what that substantial looking Doge DAC would sound like.

I'm Justin.

I think it'll be great. The Doge 6 CDP I vastly preferred to a Nagra CDP at a bake off years ago. So did others.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    Let me guess, the Bryston had a much better top end, dynamics & more transparent sound. :P
    It was simply better.
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

I'm Ian.

I've generally preferred the NOS DAC sound over the last couple of years and can heartily recommend the DDDAC but I have a Bryston BDA-2 in my system at the moment and it's tremendous. I've owned over 20 DACs in the last couple of years and best ones have all been built on simple, solid engineering.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by oldius View Post
    It was simply better.
    Thanks for the detail.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast