+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Valve DAC recommendation for Croft 25/7 and Harbeth

I'm Retief.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    This ^

Personally, if I were you, I'd go for any Audio Note DAC within my budget. Alternatively the Slawa is a very good shout and can be had new for your budget (give or take a couple).

On the budget side the Jolida is excellent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Retief
    Analogue: Origin Live Resolution mk2,OL Encounter mk3c,MM III and isolator.Digital:CA 840C.Amplification:Croft RIAA R, Icon Audio LA4mkii,Icon Audio MB845 signature version.Speakers: Kef Reference 203/2 Cables: Mark Grant G2000HD. Speaker cable Van Damme Hi-Fi UP-LCOFC.Headphone: Grado PS1000,HD650,HD600,Icon Audio HP8 RCM DIY Moth

I'm Andreas.

Thanks,

I've narrowed it down to a few interesting DACs for now..

Border Patrol SE Dac
    MHDT labs DAC
    used Line Magnetic 502
    used AudioNote DAC

Does anyone have experience with the LM 502 and compared it to the others? Or any comparisons between these DACs would be interesting to read!

I'm Bogdan.

Another vote for the SW1X, I had the pleasure of testing a DAC 1 and a DAC 2 Special.
    Totally different products at different price levels, both very musical and blended very well in AN system.
    Slawa is a pleasure to deal with, very knowledgeable and will listen to your needs and requirements.

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Philson81 View Post
    Thanks for all great advice!! ��

I just read some reviews on the Border Patrol DAC, it seems as a really impressive piece of gear, strong candidate for sure. Do you know if it's availible in Europe?
    Sorry Philson, just read this post. I bought my Border Patrol SE directly from Gary who makes them and good to deal with. Very easy and I tracked it from the US once sent.
    I don’t think they are available in the UK but nor sure about mainland Europe.

Richard
    Analogue: Linn LP12/Keel/Karmen/Karousel/Tranquility/Radikal/Trampolin 2/Collaro mat/Ekos SE/Audio Technica ART-1000 into Gold Note PH-10/PSU-10

Digital: Cyrus CD XT Signature into Border Patrol SE DAC

Amplification: Modwright LS36.5 pre into Modwright KW150SE

Speakers: Boenicke W8

Interconnects: Reference Fidelity Saturn and Oriton Orange Symphony

Speaker Cabling: Townshend Isolda

Headphones HD600

Mains: Various MCRU kits/Russ Andrews Power Cords/X Block

RCM: Velvet Vortex Ultrasonic

I'm Martin.

Yet another recommendation for the SW1X.
    #I have the DAC1
    there is also one on fleebay
    /www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SW1X-Audio-Design-DAC/173020852388?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid =p2060353.
    Lumley Heliosphere Audiomods 5
    Voyd Valdi AN Arm 1 V2 and Denon MC
    Audiomeca Talisman Highly Modded
    Audiomeca Kreatura &,SW1X DAC1
    Hovland HP200 MC
    Hovland Radia
    Ming Da 805 monos
    Magnum Dynalab Etude, RWA Cassabria + LCD 3
    Wilson Benesch Actors
    Cables by Cardas, Hovland G3 and Yter

I'm Chris.

I currently use the Croft 25/7 combo like you and I can say for a fact that the little Chord Mojo is a great DAC with the Croft!

I've been swapping DACs in a out all day today (for the fun of it) - and the Chord easily out-shines all the other DACs I have here.

The nice thing about the Croft (as you should know) - is how revealing they are to any changes upstream.

I'm sorry the Chord isn't a valve DAC but I thought it worthwhile letting you know seeing as I have the same (amazing) amps as you.

I got mine from Adrian at Audio Flair - fantastic service (that's the Croft amps not the Chord DAC). I'm so impressed with the Mojo I'm now saving up for the 2Qute. No need to change the amps though - they are as good as they get . With a £1000 budget I would be all over a 2Qute without question.

Anyone here got a 2Qute for sale used but in good condition?

If however you are not convinced and would still like a valve DAC - this looks interesting: http://www.doge.audio/products/tube-...ge-7-tube-dac/
    Last edited by loonytunes; 27-12-2017 at 21:32.

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by loonytunes View Post
    I currently use the Croft 25/7 combo like you and I can say for a fact that the little Chord Mojo is a great DAC with the Croft!

I've been swapping DACs in a out all day today (for the fun of it) - and the Chord easily out-shines all the other DACs I have here.

The nice thing about the Croft (as you should know) - is how revealing they are to any changes upstream.

I'm sorry the Chord isn't a valve DAC but I thought it worthwhile letting you know seeing as I have the same (amazing) amps as you.

I got mine from Adrian at Audio Flair - fantastic service (that's the Croft amps not the Chord DAC). I'm so impressed with the Mojo I'm now saving up for the 2Qute. No need to change the amps though - they are as good as they get . With a £1000 budget I would be all over a 2Qute without question.

Anyone here got a 2Qute for sale used but in good condition?

If however you are not convinced and would still like a valve DAC - this looks interesting: http://www.doge.audio/products/tube-...ge-7-tube-dac/
    Have you heard the Chord 2Qute in your system.

When I had the Croft Pre/Power I bought and listened to the 2Qute for a few weeks and ended up selling it as I really didn't like the way it presented music.

A few months later I tried the Mojo which I much preferred for some reason.

All I am saying is try the 2Qute in your system if you can before swapping out the Mojo.

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Philson81 View Post
    However I'm getting very tempted to get more of that feeling by upgrading the Rega-DAC to a good valve DAC. I rather spend it on a used so I can get the most for my money. My budget is about £1000. What do you recommend?
    I wouldn't get hung up on the valve DAC thing.

I've been on a bit of a DAC journey for a few years now and have had quite a few pass through my system.
    Including the Rega DAC, which didn't stay long at all. I found it tonally rich and also nicely vibrant but only up to a certain dynamic level. There seemed to be a dynamic glass ceiling to the Rega DAC which I found very frustrating. It kind of builds to a climax then doesn't quite make it. Very strange and not something I have come across much at all.
    So, I would suggest you try a few, both solid state and valve output stage and buffered. Don't necessarily reject the valve buffer options (like the Jolida) as being non-purist as they can be remarkably good, imo.

DACs vary a lot in presentation - there isn't a right or wrong - you just have to try a few and see what suits you. Enjoy the journey.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob1969 View Post
    Have you heard the Chord 2Qute in your system.

When I had the Croft Pre/Power I bought and listened to the 2Qute for a few weeks and ended up selling it as I really didn't like the way it presented music.

A few months later I tried the Mojo which I much preferred for some reason.

All I am saying is try the 2Qute in your system if you can before swapping out the Mojo.
    No I've never heard a 2Qute in my system - I would have assumed the sound to be a tad better with the convenience in that it's more of a seperates Hi-Fi piece than a headphone amp (I will never use the Mojo with headphones). Perhaps the battery sourced power gives the Mojo a little more of an advantage than connectivity to the mains?

More disturbingly however is when you say 'when I had the Croft Pre/Power' - what surely do you have to better this combo (if realistically possible) now?

montesquieu Guest

I'd be cautious of Chord DACs, I had a DAC64 and it was the total opposite of what you'd expect from a valve DAC.

I had fantastic results with the Audio Note DAC 0.1x which in my opinion punches well above its weight. So much so that I went down the more expensive Audio Note route - but the combination of valves and the non-oversampling approach is common across the Audio Note range and if you look inside the 0.1x has some pretty nice Audio Note components. It has SPDIF input as well as USB which is handy.

Anyway I'd recommend wholeheartedly.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast