+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stupid Power amp question

I'm Chris.

Hmm, still a little bit confused. Begs the question why the likes of Arcam and NAD do not make any 40Watt or 80watt power amps anymore.

But plenty of manufacturers still do, so the future still seems normal (in this context at least...).

As usual, although I have my A-level in physics, the stuff of HiFi - logarithmic loudness scales, power, amplification, sound floors, sensitivity, sampling rates and bit depth etc etc - still kinda seem like a "black art" to me. And I failed Art!

I also tried to study music with much the same result.

I should really stop worry my pretty little head about it and enjoy the music shouldn't I?
    Last edited by Lerxst; 25-11-2017 at 09:42. Reason: Spelt "the" worng

I'm Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post

I should really stop worry my pretty little head about it and enjoy the music shouldn't I?
    I have spent the morning ripping the Cranberries "No need to argue", Neil Young and Crazy Horse "Every one knows this is Nowhere" and Fairport Convention's "Unhalfbricking" and now have a date with my Tannoy's, and Dolores O'Roirden and Sandy Denny, I am sure Neil can watch in the background.

Yes the tech stuff is OK but the music is the important bit.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    I couldn’t give a monkeys about your grammar, some of the brightest people I have met are dyslexic, and some of the least bright people I have met spend time correcting grammatical errors. You’d think such clever people would be able to read posts regardless.

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    I couldn’t give a monkeys about your grammar, some of the brightest people I have met are dyslexic, and some of the least bright people I have met spend time correcting grammatical errors. You’d think such clever people would be able to read posts regardless.
    Plus Colin has already proven to the world that he has the talent to design and deliver exceedingly good amplifiers

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm Colin.

Quote Originally Posted by 337alant View Post
    Plus Colin has already proven to the world that he has the talent to design and deliver exceedingly good amplifiers

Alan
    Pure luck, I think but not so lucky choosing the right people to work with, so failed again.

Beside it is fun I recall a Inca Tech Amp we did called MSB (Mono Stereo Bridge) it was a monster at 50W except it could provide over 200Amps all day.
    A lovely dealer in London borrowed it for a while using it on Wharfdale Diamond these tiny speaker were great but to be honest had no balls.
    On the MSB it sounded like a large speaker akin to Tannoy Buckinghams and he became the best dealer for sales of Diamonds in the UK.
    I wish I could recall his name he played a Japanese Drum and Percussion recording I would love to have a copy of. Does anybody remember him?? and the recording , a stab in the gloom but always hopeful.

I'm tony.

Im lucky enough to have two of Colins amps and another winging its way to me in a few weeks.

I run 57s which can be tricky to run and turn most amps to shite-due to the evil impedance curves they present.

Aint no daft questions on here-lots of folk just looking to help!!!!

Colin is first and foremost a hi fi/music lover- just happens to be quite handy at building fabulous sounding equipment to let you enjoy music.

Forget the numbers and grammar-try to get help from members locally to hear different kit in your gaff/music genre!!!

I'm Colin.

Oh great PM me I forgot what we in private was talking about, Mrs W was not to well so I got busy doing home things sorry mate.

I'm tony.

PM sent...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123