+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lenco GL75/78/70 MDF Plinths Bare MDF finished ready to paint 3 left

I'm Don.

In a latter post, I've stated that there possibly won't be another run...of Carl's 'design'....

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

I'm Don.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Take a pretty dim view of plagiarism
    It wasn't intentional...didn't know that Carl's design was exclusive..

I'm Carl.

Quote Originally Posted by donmarrese View Post
    If you read first post, and posts on LH, I have 5 left to sell on workshops behalf.

Not on my behalf . Btw they are direct copies, not "based on " my templates . Also you have neglected to observe one or two details , one being quite important.

I'm Ian.

Firstly I better declare that I am one of the admins over on Lenco Heaven. When Don first posted about his plinths the admins discussed this issue at length and as a result advised Don on certain aspects of his posts including making no reference to Carl's work. Don was a perfect gentleman and made it clear he did not want to affect Carl's livelihood and agreed to limit the run of plinths to the ten already made.
    OK, to the issue of plagiarism. The principle of bolting the Lenco top plate to something heavy over as much of its surface as possible has been around for many years going back to the days of Jean Nantais and possibly earlier. Many builders have followed this route and freely shared their knowledge with other Lenco enthusiasts. Fundamentally there are a limited number of ways to cut a plinth to achieve the above and all will look very similar. Don's mistake was to make reference to Carl's plinths which rather suggested he had copied it. As it happens his pattern of cutouts more closely resemble the template provided by Ropie for free to DIYers. That template has been available since 2010 on the Lenco Heaven site and predates Carl's work by some 3 years. Normally Ropie would expect a royalty for commercial production but clearly, from the pricing, Don wasn't making money out of this so no royalties were requested.
    Now Carl's plinths are exceptionally well made from birch ply and he offers a range of finishes which look very professional. The price, still very reasonable, reflects that this is a commercial venture and Carl has many satisfied customers.
    On the other hand Don's plinths are made from the cheaper, and some would argue, inferior mdf. However, they are ridiculously cheap and provide an excellent way for someone not inclined to DIY their own to build a Lenco. In other words the two products are not comparable except both are an evolution of earlier designs. As such no plagiarism is involved and both Carl and Don are providing a service to Lenco builders.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ianlenco View Post
    Firstly I better declare that I am one of the admins over on Lenco Heaven. When Don first posted about his plinths the admins discussed this issue at length and as a result advised Don on certain aspects of his posts including making no reference to Carl's work. Don was a perfect gentleman and made it clear he did not want to affect Carl's livelihood and agreed to limit the run of plinths to the ten already made.
    OK, to the issue of plagiarism. The principle of bolting the Lenco top plate to something heavy over as much of its surface as possible has been around for many years going back to the days of Jean Nantais and possibly earlier. Many builders have followed this route and freely shared their knowledge with other Lenco enthusiasts. Fundamentally there are a limited number of ways to cut a plinth to achieve the above and all will look very similar. Don's mistake was to make reference to Carl's plinths which rather suggested he had copied it. As it happens his pattern of cutouts more closely resemble the template provided by Ropie for free to DIYers. That template has been available since 2010 on the Lenco Heaven site and predates Carl's work by some 3 years. Normally Ropie would expect a royalty for commercial production but clearly, from the pricing, Don wasn't making money out of this so no royalties were requested.
    Now Carl's plinths are exceptionally well made from birch ply and he offers a range of finishes which look very professional. The price, still very reasonable, reflects that this is a commercial venture and Carl has many satisfied customers.
    On the other hand Don's plinths are made from the cheaper, and some would argue, inferior mdf. However, they are ridiculously cheap and provide an excellent way for someone not inclined to DIY their own to build a Lenco. In other words the two products are not comparable except both are an evolution of earlier designs. As such no plagiarism is involved and both Carl and Don are providing a service to Lenco builders.
    Nice bit of context Ian thanks for posting this.

I'm malcolm.

As another admin at Lenco Heaven, I concur with everything Ian has said.
    Audiophile Tosher

I'm Don.

Still got 5 to go ...early Xmas present?
    2 are painted, 3 are bare...

I'm Don.

Default Amazing what you can do with a bit of MDF...

I'm dave.

Hi if you can make one for the 401 put my name down for one

Dave
    Any tool can be used as a hammer but a screwdriver makes the best chisel

I'm Don.

Cheers Dave, I'm waiting on old boy to send me over a template that has no ownership attached...unless someone out there has got a definitive template they don't mind sharing with the forum....I could ask workshop to do a run of five perhaps?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123