+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Where next with my system?

I'm Geoff.

Rega DAC's seem well liked by folk here.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by kininigin View Post
    Yes it was Gary and a good shout. Only ever used Beresford Dacs so maybe trying something else just to see what else is out there is worth a shot?
    One time when I was looking for a new DAC I went to my local hifi place and tried out three Dacs at home. Ended up buying one of them. Maybe there is someone near you that allows that.

Other than speakers I've found dacs can be the biggest improvement in SQ. But I have not used vinyl for years which you seem to prefer.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Neil.

Default Where next with my system?

Quote Originally Posted by kininigin View Post
    I have heard lots of good things about the 2MB but am not sure if it is the right cart for me! The impression i get is that it's very detailed and maybe slightly edging to the brighter side of things?? I may have got that completely wrong of course.

I do like detail but not in an 'look at me' kinda way. I listen to alot of beat/rhythm driven music so something which handles bass really well is important to me! Something which sounds 'chunky and solid' can party but also to the delicate thing with an open soundstage is what i would be looking for if i go the cartridge route.

Also how would it stand up against what i have now? I paid £60 for the SC35C. Would i really get that much improvement spending £400 or so on the 2MB? I simply don't know where the Shure stands in the pecking order!
    I like MMs, and would put the Reson Reca above the Denon DL103 for instance, or an Audio Note IQ. Haven’t heard the Ortofons but reading on the web suggests a balance I might not like.

I also listen too a lot of thick bass driven music and slam is one area where MMs can beat out MCs.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Allthatwasisorwillbe.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Rega DAC's seem well liked by folk here.
    Never heard any Rega gear, so will look into what they have.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    One time when I was looking for a new DAC I went to my local hifi place and tried out three Dacs at home. Ended up buying one of them. Maybe there is someone near you that allows that.

Other than speakers I've found dacs can be the biggest improvement in SQ. But I have not used vinyl for years which you seem to prefer.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
    There is an Audio T near me but i once went in there to inquire about a support for my tt and as soon as i mentioned it was a Technics, he looked down his nose at me! I have never been back! I do prefer my vinyl over my digital at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    I like MMs, and would put the Reson Reca above the Denon DL103 for instance, or an Audio Note IQ. Haven’t heard the Ortofons but reading on the web suggests a balance I might not like.

I also listen too a lot of thick bass driven music and slam is one area where MMs can beat out MCs.
    I definitely wouldn't want to lose slam, which i think the Denon does have from reading! Not heard of the other carts but interesting you listen to similar music and prefer the Reson Reca!
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    TECHNICS 1200 MKII_JELCO 750D_SHURE SC35C (with NOS and NEO SAS styli)
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO
    PARADIGM REFERENCE ACTIVE/40'S
    PARADIGM SERVO 15 SUBWOOFER X 2

''The theory of relativity is a mass of error and deceptive ideas violently opposed to the teachings of great men of science of the past and even to common sense''

Well i have emailed Glen about potentially upgrading to 'R' spec! I want to improve my analogue side of things, so am thinking upgrade the pre and at a later date think about another cart and dip my toes into the MC world.

I have mentioned to Glen that i use active speakers which have an input impedance of 15k ohms and the Micro 25 has an output impedance of < 300 ohms. Is this a good match?
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO

''The theory of relativity is a mass of error and deceptive ideas violently opposed to the teachings of great men of science of the past and even to common sense''

I'm Dennis.

The rules on Impedance used to be that an O/P impedance has to be at least as low as 1/10th of the I/P impedance it is feeding, and your situation easily meets this.

The AVI S2000 pre has an O/P impedance of 0.1 ohms and can drive a light bulb.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    The rules on Impedance used to be that an O/P impedance has to be at least as low as 1/10th of the I/P impedance it is feeding, and your situation easily meets this.

The AVI S2000 pre has an O/P impedance of 0.1 ohms and can drive a light bulb.
    Ahh ok, that's good to know! Also my speakers have correct phase and Glen's amp have inverted phase. Would it be of benefit having the phase reversed on the pre? Can it even be easily done?
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO

I'm Grant.

you can just reverse the cables and you will be back in phase.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    I use active speakers though so not possible.
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO

I'm Deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Yes, the speaker cables, and only reverse the polarity at one end - red to black.
    Account Deleted

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast