+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Where next with my system?

I'm Allthatwasisorwillbe.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Well to be fair, for all its qualities in presenting a big bold sound with pretty reasonable detail (not terribly unlike an early conical SPU), a decent MC will offer a lot more in terms of fine detail, micro-expression and phrasing, back to front as well as sideways depth (so better overall 3D imaging), and presentation of acoustic ambience of the recording space. Depends on what music you listen to whether all that's important or not. What I have found is that the SC35C is always very musical and enjoyable and any sins it has are ones of omission, which are quite forgivable.
    I'm sure one day i will venture into the MC world. I guess it's a case of not knowing what i'm missing atm. Yes the SC35C isn't perfect but for the £60 i paid for it, it's pretty damn impressive! Lets hope the sas takes it up a notch or two.
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    TECHNICS 1200 MKII_JELCO 750D_SHURE SC35C (with NOS and NEO SAS styli)
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO
    PARADIGM REFERENCE ACTIVE/40'S
    PARADIGM SERVO 15 SUBWOOFER X 2

''The theory of relativity is a mass of error and deceptive ideas violently opposed to the teachings of great men of science of the past and even to common sense''

I'm paul.

IT depends on the kind of presentation you like, I have had Benz wood SL and contrary to opinions that they are warm and laid back, I didn't find that at all, very detailed and dynamic. Other more expensive mc's like IO leave me cold, great for the laid back brigade. All the time my Shure Ultra is working nothing else will take its place.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf-2007 View Post
    IT depends on the kind of presentation you like, I have had Benz wood SL and contrary to opinions that they are warm and laid back, I didn't find that at all, very detailed and dynamic. Other more expensive mc's like IO leave me cold, great for the laid back brigade. All the time my Shure Ultra is working nothing else will take its place.
    I do like the big bold presentation and not so much the airy fairy type! A Denon 103 seems an obvious step to take with the MC route for me but then we are adding in an sut or headamp and talking about paying probably £6-800 to do it properly! Maybe that's could value for money in relative terms but it's a big step up from what i paid for the Shure! I guess i need to hear what a good MC can do first to know if it's worth it for me.
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO

''The theory of relativity is a mass of error and deceptive ideas violently opposed to the teachings of great men of science of the past and even to common sense''

I'm Geoff.

A Koetsu Black would probably fit the bill.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    A Koetsu Black would probably fit the bill.
    Just looked it up and it's £2000 new and that's without sut/headamp! Slightly out my price range and what i would be willing to pay for a cartridge!
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by kininigin View Post
    Just looked it up and it's £2000 new and that's without sut/headamp! Slightly out my price range and what i would be willing to pay for a cartridge!
    That's the 'starter' model in the range (or was). Didn't realise they'd gone up in price that much.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Steve.

That's the 'starter' model in the range (or was). Didn't realise they'd gone up in price that much.
    For that kind of money I would expect a professional home installation by someone resembling Nicole Kidman, who would also stay for breakfast

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by kininigin View Post
    I do like the big bold presentation and not so much the airy fairy type! A Denon 103 seems an obvious step to take with the MC route for me but then we are adding in an sut or headamp and talking about paying probably £6-800 to do it properly! Maybe that's could value for money in relative terms but it's a big step up from what i paid for the Shure! I guess i need to hear what a good MC can do first to know if it's worth it for me.
    What sort of music do you listen to? For me, I prefer rock, metal and electronica through a good MM...
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

montesquieu Guest

Indeed it's not that long since a new one was £600.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    What sort of music do you listen to? For me, I prefer rock, metal and electronica through a good MM...
    Mostly electronica but also some industrial rock, funk/soul, reggae, afrobeat.
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast