+ Reply to Thread

Thread: RCA valves - any good?

I'm Lawrence.

Default RCA valves - any good?

I've just agreed to buy some NOS RCA valves, 2x 6SN7GTB and 3x 12AX7A. The 6SN7s are black plates (not sure if that's what the B stands for). The 12AX7s are short grey plates with the older 50s style thinner writing RCA logo, not the 70s style shorter/fatter style letters. I've read they should be pretty good, but has anyone tried any? I'm not aware of any fakes like Telefunken/Siemens/Tesla, anything I should look for?

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Tapatalk

I'm James.

I have had a number of NOS RCA valves from 1960's and 70's and they have all been excellent.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Lawrence.

That's good news, I'll be trying them in my pre at the weekend (if the children allow).

I'm George.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    I've just agreed to buy some NOS RCA valves, 2x 6SN7GTB and 3x 12AX7A. The 6SN7s are black plates (not sure if that's what the B stands for). The 12AX7s are short grey plates with the older 50s style thinner writing RCA logo, not the 70s style shorter/fatter style letters. I've read they should be pretty good, but has anyone tried any? I'm not aware of any fakes like Telefunken/Siemens/Tesla, anything I should look for?

GTA and GTB have same specifications. "B" stands for: "controlled heater warm up time for use in 600mA serial heater strings". The only good RCA valves are early types from 50-ties and early 60-ties. After several thousands hrs. of "tube rolling" I am NOT of the opinion that "black plates" are generally better than "grey plates". RCA black plates sound more colorful, laid back than grey plates (same production years), and slightly edgy -however the slight edginess may disappear after long run-in time. Some valves change their sound characteristic dramatically after a longer run-in time -let's say >200 hrs. By comparison grey plates sound opener, more fluid, less edgy but "greyer" than black plates. What is "better" depends on individual taste and how the valves work in an amp in combination with other valves there. There is NO "better" or "best" valve as such -they all have strong points and shortcomings. Early 12AX7 RCAs sound is close to NOS Telefunken and Brimar valves from this period.

I'm Lawrence.

Thanks for the info, I guess the proof is in the pudding! I'll know more about the 12AX7 by next week but I won't be able to try the bigger bottles til the new year. I don't expect much difference there from my black plate Baldwin branded (for organs) Sylvanias.

+ Reply to Thread