+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The greatest amps circa 1977-80?

I'm Howard.

Default The greatest amps circa 1977-80?

Last edited by Neil McCauley; 23-11-2017 at 07:20.
    Well, hello.

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
    The article doesn’t open, server not found, bummer! I wanted to read that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Doesn't work for me either.
    Barry

I'm Howard.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    The article doesn’t open, server not found, bummer! I wanted to read that.

Our techie is working on the glitch right now. Apologies for the frustration

Neil
    Well, hello.

I'm Howard.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Doesn't work for me either.

Our techie is working on the glitch right now. Apologies for the frustration

Neil
    Well, hello.

I'm Howard.

Default The greatest amps circa 1977-80? BROKEN LINK NOW SORTED. We offer apologies

Greetings,

I know this is always a thorny question when pertaining to actual products, but since we now have 30 years in retrospect, it might be a little easier to find a consensus on equipment that have withstood the test of time, say a Top Five?

I've just come back from a listening session using a pair of Proacs and a Micromega transport/DAC player as constants. First up was a Technics SU-8600 which sounded just sublime. We then switched the Technics for a Bryston 3B for comparisons. The technics was far more "musical''. The Brystons were much more clearer and very ''intimidating'' sounding at first, but you eventually lose interest in the music as they were much colder sounding. This was no surprise for those who've heard these before. We then put in a Pioneer SA-7500II and it was an immediate relief to have the musicality back. The Pioneer was was far from neutral as there seemed to be a boost in both the bass region around 80Hz and the highs at 10Khz or so. The soundstage however, was huge and stable.

We then put back the Technics and it was apparent what a great amp this was. It sounded pretty neutral, but extremely musical, making you want to keep listening to the music. It was a moving experience! So the SU-8600, definitely in my Top Five!
    http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.p...977-80.406531/
    Well, hello.

I'm Russell.

So many to choose from! About 1975 I got a Technics 25watt receiver. It was very Musical, and lasted me until about 1983 when I sold it on a search for higher power. It didn’t take long for me to miss the Technics, and took many years to fully replace it.

In those days. I recall wanting a Marantz receiver, but they were too expensive for a teenager. And a friend’s older brother had a Sansui that was huge! And sounded so. The 919 I think? I bought a Sansui in the mid 80’s that was disappointing. Not like those fine amps of the late 70’s. And those Harmon Kardons, all sounded shrill and painful to listen to, to me. The solid state ones mind you.

Those were magical times in the hi-fi world! Stereo stores were popping up left and right, with fine Japanese equipment flooding the market at reasonable prices. The hi end referred to these as “Mid-Fi”, but looking back I think that was a bit derogatory, as they did many things right.

+ Reply to Thread