+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lossless files to my DAC - how?

I'm Paul.

This subject keeps cropping up on PFM - personally I just think its best to wait for the Touch to arrive. This should represent the beginning of VFM streamers that have evolved away from the computer. But if you're considering a computer the Mini Mac is whisper quiet, but the digital output is only an optical 3.5mm jack, unless you want to use the Caiman's USB input.

I'm Lee.

I didn't recommend the AE because the original post said this:

Quote Originally Posted by DevaFever View Post
    In other words I just need something that will sit in the lounge – that has a hard drive – that is quiet in operation – and that will send lossless files to my DAC, amp and speakers.
    Lee

Independent Apple tech support guy at Macnology

Gear: iMac > ALAC > Airport Express > Beresford Caiman DAC > Mark Grant IC > Audiolab 8000S > Chord Rumour Speaker Cable > Dynaudio Audience 42 Speakers > Grado SR80 Headphones

Vinyl: 90's Rega Planar 2, RB250, Bias Cart, Rega Fono Mini

Last.fm

I'm notAlone.

It wasn't a bad recommendation Lee, actually, as the OP seems to have already a computer.
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

I'm Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by Themis View Post
    It wasn't a bad recommendation Lee, actually, as the OP seems to have already a computer.
    Yes, a noisy laptop iirc.
    Lee

Independent Apple tech support guy at Macnology

Gear: iMac > ALAC > Airport Express > Beresford Caiman DAC > Mark Grant IC > Audiolab 8000S > Chord Rumour Speaker Cable > Dynaudio Audience 42 Speakers > Grado SR80 Headphones

Vinyl: 90's Rega Planar 2, RB250, Bias Cart, Rega Fono Mini

Last.fm

I'm Nobody.

The Asus notebooks i have are ghostly quiet but i dont use em being too small & fiddly. I use a media player with DAC & outboard HDD but have to use the players menu on tv monitor.

Default Apple TV

I use the Apple TV. I do have the system set up wirelessly but it seems to me you could hook the Apple TV to your computer via ethernet, synch the music (the Apple TV has a 160GB hard drive), then place the ATV into your audio system using a toslink digital cable to connect to your DAC and then to your system via analog interconnect.

I do have my system running wireless but with up to 160GB of music synched on the hard drive I do not have to have iTunes or my computer on to access the music that is on the Apple TV hard drive and it is quiet in the system.
    (2) Lacie Quadra2 HDD>(2) Cardas Clear USB Cables>Mac Mini (AIFF-iTunes-Pure Music)>Cardas Clear USB cable>Bel Canto DAC 1.5>Cardas Clear Light XLR interconnects>Bel Canto 500S amp>Cardas Clear Sky Speaker cables>Dynaudio Chorus 220 MKII speakers

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by mwheelerk View Post
    I use the Apple TV. I do have the system set up wirelessly but it seems to me you could hook the Apple TV to your computer via ethernet, synch the music (the Apple TV has a 160GB hard drive), then place the ATV into your audio system using a toslink digital cable to connect to your DAC and then to your system via analog interconnect.

I do have my system running wireless but with up to 160GB of music synched on the hard drive I do not have to have iTunes or my computer on to access the music that is on the Apple TV hard drive and it is quiet in the system.
    Actually this is a good solution if either the standard 160Gb version is sufficient, or you are up for opening the ATV up and fitting a larger drive (or getting someone to do it for you, it's not that straight forward), up to about 320Gb can be fitted.

I didn't mention it because if you uses lossless files, 320Gb won't last long and you can't easily attached external HDs without 'hacking' the ATV software.
    Steve aka 'Twelvebears' (it's a long story)
    System: Technics 1210 Mk5, Jelco 750 arm, AT33EV via MF X-LP2 Phono Stage, Oyaide mat and record clamp. SB Touch via Marantz PM-11S1 amp and Wilson Benesch A.C.T. speakers. Mark Grant cables and PS Audio Power Plant Premier mains regenerator.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks for all the replies. They have been a big help.

In the short-term I think I will keep using my laptop into the DAC until I've saved all my cds in lossless format onto an external hard drive - which will probably be a month or so at the speed I am going at the moment.

Then I will probably wait for the squeezebox touch - which seems to be designed to do exactly what I want. The Apple TV is probably the other option I might consider depending on how many GB my music collection ends up being, how long it takes until the touch is finally released, and whether I upgrade my non-HD tv in the meantime.

Thanks again.

Richard.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12