+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: would anyone loan me an mc sut for a trial please?

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by farflungstar View Post
    If money is tight but performance important id look at Dave Slagle, who i believe can do them and I've read very good things about them. If they are anything like his TVC's then they should be outstanding.
    +1 for the Dave Slagle recommendation. My Slagle AVC is outstanding (Thanks Ali Tait)

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by speedracer View Post
    He is in Lancing Jamie, not far at all, & I would come along too if you don't mind.
    sweet as,yes your welcome too,how about next saturday?
    if he's got a decent amp he could bring that as well
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

Bigman80 Guest

I agree with Tom. My Hashimoto HMX is basically the HM7 wth a different response, higher top end extension and slightly less lower end. It is certainly not limited at either extreme and is sublime across the board. I am however, as is Tom, using it with possibly one of the best phonostages available, and in truth the difference with or without the SUT is very very subtle.
    Hi Adrian,

If it's very very subtle, why use one? Does your stage have direct MC input capability? (Can't see you gear on Tapatalk)

I'm genuinely interested as to what it brings to the party in your system or is there any "expectation bias" due to having invested substantially in an SUT?

I'm Adrian.

I use the Vida, the SUT adds a slight improvement in airiness and tonallity but it is slight. However it's enough to keep it in the loop - and it's not expectation bias, I've had it a good while now and experimented with and without - I like it in. The Vida is a head amp I guess, so they can be superb, but they're not cheap! Tom may have a different opinion as he's now using the Ear pre.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

montesquieu Guest

I use the Vida, the SUT adds a slight improvement in airiness and tonallity but it is slight. However it's enough to keep it in the loop - and it's not expectation bias, I've had it a good while now and experimented with and without - I like it in. The Vida is a head amp I guess, so they can be superb, but they're not cheap! Tom may have a different opinion as he's now using the Ear pre.
    Agree with Adey - it's plain the SUT improves things over straight MC input - not massive, but it's definitely noticeable. Don't get me wrong it's a top quality MC input and it's perfectly possible to use it that way, but a good SUT just adds that bit more air and dimensionality. This was most noticeable when I used it with the Audio Note Japan AN-S6cc but was also quite discernable with the Hashimoto HM-7 and the TX103.

I'm Brook.

Okay I will have a word & get back to you, & yes he has more than 1 very very decent amps

I'm Nat.

I have been reading this thread with great interest as I have been wondering if an sut would be an upgrade connected to my Trichord Dino with the dip switches set to MM. I have just acquired a Benz Micro Ace SL and wondered if the Trichord is up to the task of getting the very best from this cart and as a very expensive stage is out of my reach would an SUT offer some of what a more expensive stage could give to the Benz?

Bigman80 Guest

Thanks Adrian, the Vida looks lovely!!! But we're not talking Modest in terms of price are we

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Natara View Post
    I have been reading this thread with great interest as I have been wondering if an sut would be an upgrade connected to my Trichord Dino with the dip switches set to MM. I have just acquired a Benz Micro Ace SL and wondered if the Trichord is up to the task of getting the very best from this cart and as a very expensive stage is out of my reach would an SUT offer some of what a more expensive stage could give to the Benz?
    It can't give what's not there IMO.it may change something in the presentation which may be favourable or not. Unless you're going to spend big (£1k+), don't bother or borrow one and see for yourself. The FRT-3 is probably as good as it gets under (£500 used).

SUTs and Head amps are literally just there to provide Gain to the MC signal to make it work with MM phonostages.

Only my opinion

I'm Geoff.

I don't know about the Dino, but some MM/MC phono stages actually do sound better used via the MM side with an SUT. The MM/MC version of the EAR 834P springs to mind, where this was very evident.

As SUT's tend to resell at the price paid for them, there's not a lot to lose by trying one. Cheap SUT's are a disaster though and ruin the MC experience. Regard something like the Fidelity Research FRT-3 as being at the minimum price point for something worthwhile.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast