+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: would anyone loan me an mc sut for a trial please?

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    He's not called bigman for nothing, I think it must be the rarified atmosphere up there having it's effect

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Ah, yes good point. AT33PTGII, Ortofon Vienna, ZYX Bloom R50.

There will be further comparisons Tomorrow with Hashimoto HM-3 v Denon HA-500 with the Ortofon Vienna, Goldring Eroica and AT33ptgii. Also another cartridge. I intend to investigate thoroughly. Also have the hybrid Valve monoblocks and a Sansui AU-D9 to go with aswell.
    I'd rate those cartridges as being SUT-friendly in terms of a healthy output and nice low source impedance, so the tests you're planning are a fair comparison in my opinion.
    Yes, headamps are capable of a wider bandwidth than most SUTs but usually don't do as well in terms of noise - at least the "hiss" type of noise. SUTs are more prone to picking up hum though. Having said that, it's possible for both technologies to have noise well below vinyl surface noise and bandwidths wide enough to cover 20Hz - 20kHz, and when you get to that point it's all about perceived sound quality.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    I'd rate those cartridges as being SUT-friendly in terms of a healthy output and nice low source impedance, so the tests you're planning are a fair comparison in my opinion.
    Yes, headamps are capable of a wider bandwidth than most SUTs but usually don't do as well in terms of noise - at least the "hiss" type of noise. SUTs are more prone to picking up hum though. Having said that, it's possible for both technologies to have noise well below vinyl surface noise and bandwidths wide enough to cover 20Hz - 20kHz, and when you get to that point it's all about perceived sound quality.
    Thanks for that, I think they are a fair amount of quality too. A spectrum of cost £300 for an Eroica, £450 for the AT33PTGII and £2000+ for the Ortofon. I am sure the mystery cartridge Phonomac is bringing will fit in there too. I'll update once I know it's identity!!!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Nat.

Thank you for the advice I suppose I will have to just stump up and try one the Jfet looks interesting but perhaps something used would be better value as a trial.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    I can offer a tiny bit of input. I used a Dynavector XXX2MK2 and a Benz Mirco Glider L2 both with a Jfet 'head amp' Amplifier (battery powered) and a Hashimoto HM-7 Step Up.
    Now the differences were there, the Hashimoto having slightly more texture and subtle detail over the frequencies. I have to say it wasn't night and day between the Head Amp and the SUT but it was quite noticeable.
    I guess thats what we are talking about at this stage of the game, the incremental differences with different equipment. I always have a slight issue with hifi lingo, articulating the differences I hear is not easy.
    But it came down to what I preferred, nothing else. It would have made me financially happier if the Jfet head amp had beat or was on the same level as the Hashimoto Step Up as there was £800 to be gained from
    the hHead amp being as good. Alas it was not. But lets get it right, the £175 (at the time) jfet Head amp gave a very very good presentation and was incredibly enjoyable. £800 difference, probably not, but who can put a price on the increments in sound quality. I did offer this advice at the beginning of this thread but was shot down in flames for daring to add the Jfet amplifier to the mix, when SUT advice was being asked for..
    But it would make perfect sense that this little thing can give great performance on a modest outlay. If your purse is larger and the fancy takes you, then the higher end SUT route is the way to go, if you want a 'slightly' lower level performance and save some dosh then go the other route.
    My initial review is in the link below, for what it's worth.

btw I have no commercial interest with AD Audio
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...t-MC-amplifier

I'm Alex.

In my experience, I also prefer the head amp to the SUT. I absolutely loved the sound my system produced when I used HM7's, I was amazed, this was then topped by a Tribute SUT, something I wish I still had (Ali if you ever sell it on please let me know, I'd like it back).

These though were both bettered by the Arkless head amp which I offered to loan to Jamie earlier on in the thread but he missed my post. To me it provided more excitement to the music, as Ali said, like you're closer to the main stage.
    Last edited by alcarmichael; 03-12-2017 at 22:33.

I'm jamie.

you wasn't ignored,i missed the post thats all.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Alex.

Edited.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678