+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do my stats sound a little harsh, aggressive?

I'm Johan.

Default Why do my stats sound a little harsh, aggressive?

I've built three electrostatic loudspeakers during my lifespan and currently I'm using two of them - one being a hybrid panel (mid / high) paired with a transmission-line subwoofer and one rather big full-range stat. I get the impression, together with others that listened to my DIY stats, that they always sound rather bright and a little aggressive and harsh in the higher frequencies compared to some electrodynamic (cone) loudspeakers.

Is this a general property of stats, or is it just my stats? I did apply active equalizing, my stats use secondhand transformers that originate from Audiostatic stats (a set of two 1:75 transformers per channel). Those transformers have a LR-resonance frequency at somewhere around 11 kHz so output falls off after 11 kHz. They don't have the typical upwards raising frequency response as I equalized them - they have a rather straight frequency response in the mid and high range.

Do you recognize my findings about the aggressiveness and harshness? What could be the cause? Is it a material property - the mylar? Could it be a distortion coming from either / and / or the power amplifier, transformers? Or some unwanted by-products? Is this sound typical for all stats?

I've read that compared to stats, magnetotstats (Magnepans) tent to have a more coherent sound and lack the harsh high frequencies. Do you people agree on that and what would be the cause of this difference?

By the way: although being critical about my own creations (the stats), I'm very happy with them and have always felt attracted to there presence.

I'm paul.

Diy audio may be more helpful, although some here may have experience of building stats.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Dave.

Probably depends on the ESL. The Martin Logans are clean and clear, the Quads are warmer and more mellow but none are "bright and aggressive".

TheMooN Guest

It may prove to be a number of factors eg. the crossover, however an obvious place to start would be the ancillary equipment in use with the stats, an impedance miss match perhaps or amplification with an inherent rise in the upper registers, amplified in effect by the revealing nature of the transducers.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

EQ the treble down a little?
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Paul.

This is a wild guess, but have you measured the off-axis frequency ressponce of the treble frequencies?

Could it be the case that the treble is beaming and the bass frequencies are omnidirectional, which means that the energy distribution is not even so you need to bring the treble eq down a little further to compensate. Or use a grid with less open area o disperse the higher frequencies a bit more.

This is just what came into my mind.
    ~Paul~

I'm Martin.

if there is distortion the best you are going to do by adjusting levels is mask it.

There is nothing in the intrinsic working principles of a panel or electrostatic that will make it sound harsh. I have heard them sounding very sweet indeed. So assuming there is not a fault or design flaw with these specific panels I would say they are just showing up a problem originating further upstream.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Neil.

Kudos for building electrostatics and getting them to work at all. I would dread to think about the optimisation involved though to get Quad levels of sweetness at the top end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm tony.

This might sound a bit daft but super tweeters have helped my 57s at both high and low frequencies.

I fully agree....building yer own stats!!!! Wow im in awe.......any help i can assist with PM me.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

ESL speakers all have one thing in common - falling impedance with a rise in frequency.
    It could be that the OP's amplification is just telling him that it's not happy driving his stats.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast