+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RB330 / Planar 3 (2016) upgrades?

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by Svend N View Post
    I came to the conclusion that almost all the tweaks didn't necessarily "improve" the sound...just made it different.
    Exactly, but if you have spent hundreds achieving that 'improved' sound you could argue that some people will convince themselves different = better.

Research will tell you 40% of the population are very susceptible to marketing and suggestion, so it's a tweakers, sales and marketing paradise. Knowing when to apply the brakes is key.

I concur with a lot of the advice given here and can say from personal experience David from Radlett Audio knows his onions
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm George.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    Svend, with your older 3, a Rega motor upgrade kit, Rega power supply and a white belt will improve the performance but forget the other 'tweaky' bits which won't make a scrap of difference and could even make it worse.
    Do I assume rightly that by a lucky coincidence YOU sell a Rega motor upgrade kit that improve the performance but "other 'tweaky' bits won't make a scrap of difference and could even make it worse."..?

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by forsell View Post
    Do I assume rightly that by a lucky coincidence YOU sell a Rega motor upgrade kit that improve the performance but "other 'tweaky' bits won't make a scrap of difference and could even make it worse."..?
    Thank you for the sarcasm.

I do fit the Rega motor upgrade kit, which does improve the performance for very good reasons. It's very reasonably priced and does a good job.

I don't agree with 3rd party tweaky counterweights, sub platters and the like. I have used and removed several of these because they didn't improve on the stock item and some made things worse with their poor engineering. On Saturday, I did demonstrate a Rega standard belt against a 3rd party belt, which didn't sound as good for similar money.

Rega ain't daft - they do, actually, know what they are doing.

I'm off.

Hi Svend - good points. My cart's a Hana EH, into a Slee Era Gold / Mastersound Dueventi / Shahinian SEs. I like how it all sounds - but if anything the Planar 3's a weak link relative to the rest of my system (my current amp & speakers came along after the TT). As you say, the marketing on some of the aftermarket upgrades promises a lot...

Interesting too re mats. Is the consensus that the stock wool mat is best match with Rega's glass platter?

Quote Originally Posted by Svend N View Post
    Hi Rick,
    If you do end up installing any mods or upgrades to your Planar 3, please do post back here with what you did and how they worked out. I am interested in this, as I recently bought an original Planar 3 to use in our second system, and have been researching possible mods for the old thing. Much of what is out there is made to sound very tempting, with marketing jargon like "Stunning improvement!", "Night and day difference!", "Elevates to the next level!". It seems that some users who have bought these, and spent near the equivalent of a whole new deck, naturally report that improvements were clearly audible and worth every nickel, whereas others with more critical ears are not so keen.

That said, it's hard to sort out fact from fantasy, but what I have gleaned from all my reading is that turntable isolation is key with these Regas (i.e. wall shelf, solid platform, sand box, etc.). Other than that, given that you have a new model with quiet motor and PSU, I would guess that the remaining aftermarket mods would have little to no effect on your deck. My old one is different, and I am looking into making the motor quieter, and maybe a better belt...but that's about it.

Platter mats do make an audible difference on some decks, of that I am certain, having tried a few on my Heybrook. But what effect the different mats would have on a Rega P3 platter I can't say. Worth experimenting with, and some are very inexpensive DIY options (cork, leather), some more costly (Funk Achromat, etc.). I'm liking cork on my Heybrook, but that's an aluminum platter. Inexpensive little upgrade, this, but well worth doing.

Your P3, and mine too, would undoubtedly get FAR greater benefit from spending money on a good cartridge (properly set up!) and phono stage. Perhaps I missed it, but what cartridge do you have? And what phono stage? What about the rest of your system? Is it revealing enough that you would actually hear subtle changes?

Interesting subject, and I look forward to hearing how you proceed, if at all.

Cheers,
    Svend

I'm Svend.

Rick, I'm not sure about mats on a Rega glass platter. I'm sure others with more experience with these decks will advise. I have used different mats on aluminum platters, and they do have an effect...again, not necessarily all for the better. Cork seems to work well on aluminum in terms of imaging and bass definition; but felt mats have a more open airy sound. I intend to try out various mats with my Planar 3 (also glass platter) once I get it set up and running.

You have a very good cartridge and electronics -- the Hanas are supposed to be excellent. Just a suggestion, to second what others have recommended, good isolation seems to be key to these unsuspended, low mass decks. A wall shelf or isolation platform of some kind would likely do wonders for your sound quality. I can say that on my (suspended) Heybrook, even the simple addition of Michell Tenderfeet made an improvement -- everything tightened up a bit, clarity improved. I aim to take this further and put the deck on a properly isolated heavy platform of some kind. There are lots of ideas , DIY and ready-made, for Rega isolation out there on the web.

Good luck, and post back with what you end up doing.

Cheers,
    Svend

I'm off.

Thanks Svend & others for the great tips on isolation. It prompted a bit of playing. Looking into acrylic platforms etc, I remembered i’d a) a set of Ceraballs (picked up cheap secondhand to try out, but not really put to good use) and b) a TT-sized slab of composite (corian) kitchen worktop - the sink cutout. Corian on top of ceraballs sounds (and looks) pretty good - everything tightened up a little, punchier bass.

I’ve another worktop cutout - & might try (inspired by srm’s silent stage) doubling up with some sorbothane pads between.

I'm Svend.

Quote Originally Posted by vinylist View Post
    Thanks Svend & others for the great tips on isolation. It prompted a bit of playing. Looking into acrylic platforms etc, I remembered i’d a) a set of Ceraballs (picked up cheap secondhand to try out, but not really put to good use) and b) a TT-sized slab of composite (corian) kitchen worktop - the sink cutout. Corian on top of ceraballs sounds (and looks) pretty good - everything tightened up a little, punchier bass.

I’ve another worktop cutout - & might try (inspired by srm’s silent stage) doubling up with some sorbothane pads between.
    As far as I know, the SRM slient base design has the motor separated from the plinth and mounted to the lower base. I could be mistaken, but I seem to recall that's how it works. Good idea actually, but probably most beneficial for an older Rega like mine that has the AC motor mounted on rubber bands. I think the benefit of separating the motor from your new P3, with its quiet 24V motor and PSU, might be questionable. Still, a solid sub-base is a good idea, and there are different ways to support something like that -- Vibrapods, cones, ceraballs like yours, etc... I plan to build a sandbox for mine, as it seems to get positive comments from users.

This might help:

http://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories...iso_pt2_e.html

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/sandblaster_e.html

Best,
    Svend

I'm Dave.

I am independent with a reputation built up over 40 years and so can stock, pretty well anything I choose and Rega is one of those brands. I am not forced to sell any products and I am very picky.

I have seen, used and removed several after market counterweights, which did nothing to the sound and were very poorly made. I still have them in a box somewhere amongst the accumulated clutter. I don't put the Michell Tecnoweight in that camp as they are beautifully made and well thought out.
    Last edited by walpurgis; 30-11-2017 at 11:35.

I'm Dave.

What happened to the post I was replying to above ? It was accusing me of bias and I was replying to that.

I'm Geoff.

Dave. As you can see, the contentious posts were removed. Therefore, your response had no context. I edited accordingly. Thought you'd be happy.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast