+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RB330 / Planar 3 (2016) upgrades?

I'm off.

Default RB330 / Planar 3 (2016) upgrades?

Hi all

I like my Planar 3 a lot, but thinking of exploring some tinkering...without throwing silly money at it. I’ve already got the white belt on it, and running a TT-PSU.

Has anyone here any experience/thoughts on counterweight upgrades for the RB330 - is the Origin Live arm mod likely to be worth a look?

And how about subplatters? Going the Groovetracer route seems a bit pricey, any thoughts on the one Fidelity (Ben Lamb) does?

Thanks!

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by vinylist View Post
    Hi all

I like my Planar 3 a lot, but thinking of exploring some tinkering...without throwing silly money at it. I’ve already got the white belt on it, and running a TT-PSU.

Has anyone here any experience/thoughts on counterweight upgrades for the RB330 - is the Origin Live arm mod likely to be worth a look?

And how about subplatters? Going the Groovetracer route seems a bit pricey, any thoughts on the one Fidelity (Ben Lamb) does?

Thanks!
    add up all the possible upgrades and compare that against a turntable you may prefer. I had a Garrard 401 and built a lenco ptp, ok I enjoyed the build but to get a lenco to sound as good as a 401 it cost more than my 401. Besides that the 401 speed is adjustable as it warms up and the lenco isn't so I had to switch it on an hour before I could use it. Ok not the same situation as yours but you get the idea. It's easy to throw money at something and not know what the result will be.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf-2007 View Post
    add up all the possible upgrades and compare that against a turntable you may prefer. I had a Garrard 401 and built a lenco ptp, ok I enjoyed the build but to get a lenco to sound as good as a 401 it cost more than my 401. Besides that the 401 speed is adjustable as it warms up and the lenco isn't so I had to switch it on an hour before I could use it. Ok not the same situation as yours but you get the idea. It's easy to throw money at something and not know what the result will be.
    Today agree. Look at where you want to be and try to get there without spending time and money on upgrading. Leapfrog the process if you can.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm steve.

Default RB330 / Planar 3 (2016) upgrades?

Hi, I also have a 2016 Planar 3 and thought I’d jump in with a few things I’ve done to mine. Firstly I have one of Ben Lambs machined alloy subplatter upgrades, I mainly bought it due the very reasonable price compared to some of the other options available, but mainly to get a longer spindle so I could use my Michell record clamp, the engineering quality and finish is first rate, it looks great and it in my case gave me an unexpected improvement, namely it made the speed more accurate, with the original SP the speed measured 33.37 RPM with the alloy SP it measured 33.34 RPM. From what I’ve read online the addition of the white belt tends to up the speed slightly and is one reason why I’ve stayed with the standard belt. I’m also using the Origin Live Upgrade mat in place of the std wool mat, main reason being that I’m using a Nagaoka MP110 cartridge which is just over 3mms taller than Regas cartridges, the OL mat being only 1mm thick gets the arm pretty well level in conjunction with a 2mm spacer under the armbase. The best thing you can do to improve the sound though is to buy the latest lightweight Rega dedicated wall mount as I have.
    A friend of mine has experienced the OL upgrades on the Rega arm, according to him it does change the sound but in his estimation not for the better, it makes the sound artificially livelier and degrades the arms inherent neutrality, so not really recommended according to him and it’s not a cheap mod either.
    Upgraded subplatter by
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Finally finished by ,
    Last edited by steve-z; 19-11-2017 at 21:08.

I'm off.

Hi Steve - thanks - all very interesting to hear about and looks a very nice setup. Other than the speed difference, did you notice any changes in sound with the new subplatter?

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by vinylist View Post
    Hi Steve - thanks - all very interesting to hear about and looks a very nice setup. Other than the speed difference, did you notice any changes in sound with the new subplatter?
    The change to the sound with the subplatter was extremely slight but better, pitch stability seemed very slightly better, perhaps due to the flywheel effect of the heavier metal SP, just that little better purity of piano notes, but I’m talking tiny margins here, anything is a bonus really as I mainly bought it so I could use the Michell plus it looks a lot cooler than plastic. As I said the best investment is the wall mount.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm off.

Thanks Steve - interesting.

I'm Dave.

I've seen, heard, put right, many after market mods to Rega turntables and arms and I would recommend you leave it as it is. Most of these mods make no difference at all, some are poorly made but none of them, to my mind are worth bothering with.

Personally, I would suggest the Neo power supply and White Belt make a far larger improvement than any other tweaks. However, you have already got these upgrades, so the next step would be to put the money saved towards a P6, where you will hear the improvement.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Ideally, if you want to upgrade a Planar 3, you buy a Planar 6... One comment Steve Z has made to me privately is that the new hub has improved speed accuracy and the longer spindle aids use of the Michell clamp, which personally I can't be faffed with but that's me Foo balls in the main bearing can drastically shorten the life of the spindle though, so anyone reading this should keep the bearing sleeve and ball original as this isn't the main cause of noise in the background.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm off.

Thanks - very clear. Would be interested whether others have different views - seems a good steer to just enjoy the deck as is. Sounds similarly like it's probably not worth the trouble of playing with different counterweights on the rb330?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast