+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: For Sale: Linn LK140

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

The LK140 was actually a good solid state amp. I think the output stage was a thick film type from memory. Unlike the previous LK100, which sounded grainy even with a few years under it's belt, the 140 was clean and clear and well able to drive low impedance loads. It changed cosmetically (power button and paint finish) in its lifetime (I think this may be a later one) and the real benefit was in being able to have aktiv cards fitted inside. Keildh's and especially Ninkas driven actively with LK140's were seriously good I remember.

I liked the LK140 a lot and it'll be great with some smaller floor standing speakers in need of tightening up. Just try not to use a Linn preamp with it as these add colouration and in the case of the Kairn, reduce soundstage depth as well.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    The LK140 was actually a good solid state amp. I think the output stage was a thick film type from memory. Unlike the previous LK100, which sounded grainy even with a few years under it's belt, the 140 was clean and clear and well able to drive low impedance loads. It changed cosmetically (power button and paint finish) in its lifetime (I think this may be a later one) and the real benefit was in being able to have aktiv cards fitted inside. Keildh's and especially Ninkas driven actively with LK140's were seriously good I remember.

I liked the LK140 a lot and it'll be great with some smaller floor standing speakers in need of tightening up. Just try not to use a Linn preamp with it as these add colouration and in the case of the Kairn, reduce soundstage depth as well.
    Cheers for the write up David, much appreciated.

Clearaudio Emotion with Clearaudio Performer cart
    Copland CDA 266
    Copland CSA 28
    Squeezebox Touch
    Impulse Lali
    Van Damme I/Cs and cables

I'm Rich.

I haven't made a great job of listing this, my head is all over the place at the moment dealing with a seriously ill parent, not an excuse but I do realise I hadn't thought about the ad well enough.

The last thing I want to do is mislead anyone, It is in perfect working order but not in brilliant cosmetic condition, it looks like there are one or two little spots where the paintwork has been dabbed to it touch up. The dent on the front is noticeable when you look, but it isn't glaringly obvious when in use, I can honestly say it didn't bother me. I do believe I have priced it well compared to how much they still sell for.

Any questions or if you want more pics let me know and I will get them done when I can.

Copland CDA 266
    Copland CSA 28
    Squeezebox Touch
    Impulse Lali

I'm Grant.

hopefully this will be clearer..

Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

To the new owner -

As it's a late one with a finger-indent in the power button, Linn *may* have a replacement front panel - you can only ask... The top cover could be lightly resprayed in matt black (or coal black if it's a nearer shade) without too much difficulty.

Just 'cos it's Linn, don't ignore this little amp - it really was rather good and 'plays the tune' very well despite the pr@t factor being all important back then and was designed to drive 4 ohm loads safely from the outset... I seem to remember there's also an adjustable 'standby' function which puts the main amp to sleep when no music is being played after a variable time.

P.S. This amp responded to good cable choices too. The original Linn 'black' cables are scrappy and messy sonically and something like the Van Damme XKE (I think it's called) will keep the sound but should clean it up. Since Linn wanted an arm and a leg for their 'Silver' interconnect, which 'sounded' excellent with their electronics (surprise surprise ), a Klotz MC5000 type would be great if you can make or get one made up, the AC110 (Rega Couple mk1) was good too... I speak from experience here, as we sold a lot of LK140's at the time and the price undercut equivalent Naims by a wide margin...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    hopefully this will be clearer..

Thanks Grant, I will get some better pics up on Thursday

Copland CDA 266
    Copland CSA 28
    Squeezebox Touch
    Impulse Lali

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    To the new owner -

As it's a late one with a finger-indent in the power button, Linn *may* have a replacement front panel - you can only ask... The top cover could be lightly resprayed in matt black (or coal black if it's a nearer shade) without too much difficulty.

Just 'cos it's Linn, don't ignore this little amp - it really was rather good and 'plays the tune' very well despite the pr@t factor being all important back then and was designed to drive 4 ohm loads safely from the outset... I seem to remember there's also an adjustable 'standby' function which puts the main amp to sleep when no music is being played after a variable time.

P.S. This amp responded to good cable choices too. The original Linn 'black' cables are scrappy and messy sonically and something like the Van Damme XKE (I think it's called) will keep the sound but should clean it up. Since Linn wanted an arm and a leg for their 'Silver' interconnect, which 'sounded' excellent with their electronics (surprise surprise ), a Klotz MC5000 type would be great if you can make or get one made up, the AC110 (Rega Couple mk1) was good too... I speak from experience here, as we sold a lot of LK140's at the time and the price undercut equivalent Naims by a wide margin...
    Yep, it falls asleep if no signal is detected after a set amount of time, then wakes up when you start playing again. I was using it with basic Van Damme cables and they did the job very well.

Copland CDA 266
    Copland CSA 28
    Squeezebox Touch
    Impulse Lali

I'm Rich.

Reduced to £195 or very near offer posted.

A brilliant bit of kit that's cheap as chips because of cosmetic damage. BFA banana plugs supplied.

Copland CDA 266
    Copland CSA 28
    Squeezebox Touch
    Impulse Lali

I'm Mike.

If I didn't already have one, I'd take your arm off at that price! GLWS

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by perlogalism View Post
    If I didn't already have one, I'd take your arm off at that price! GLWS
    Cheers, even with a small dent or two I thought this was priced to be a proper bargain.

Copland CDA 266
    Copland CSA 28
    Squeezebox Touch
    Impulse Lali

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast