+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Waiting and nervous about the ARC 75

I'm Martin.

Might as well optimise everything, no point in spoiling the ship for an hapeth of tar. You can always keep the old valves as spares. Cool looking amplifier btw.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Yes doesn’t hurt to have a spare set.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Adrian.

Spent a few hours listening to Boris Blank electronica - holy cow. Stunning - tremendous power and drive and with the meters reading barely 7 watts.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by farflungstar View Post
    Spent a few hours listening to Boris Blank electronica - holy cow. Stunning - tremendous power and drive and with the meters reading barely 7 watts.
    It must sound better with meters.

I love them. Great looking amp.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by farflungstar View Post
    Okay so whilst some may say my opinions are expectation bias here's what i think of the 75 after an initial critical listening session.

My worries about single ended to balanced were unnecessary.

The top of the range Cardas connectors work really well - zero hum or noise. There is only silence with my ear up against the Tannoys. Great. However I hate connectors so will ask speedy Steve to knock me up a cable.

Okay so how does it sound?

To be honest I had expected it to sound less sweet than the 300b/845 I'm used to and yes it is, but marginally. What it has is an incredibly wide, tall and deep soundstage with tremendous definition and resolution. Timbre and nuance is the best I've heard. The treble is extended beyond anything I've heard in my system before, midrange is stunning, and the bass is breathtaking - I've never heard such tonallity to bass, or such power. It grips the Tannoys perfectly, letting them breath but not get unruly - stunning. I would say it has the effortlessness of a big solid state amp twinned with the beauty of valves.

Of course I need new valves but even so I am over the moon with what I'm hearing. It's been a long journey, but this year wth the addition of the Tannoys and the Reed, and now the 75 I feel like I'm where I wanted to be.

Fit and finish is exemplary, though the functional look isn't what I'm used to. Operation is a dream and the amp sounds fabulous almost from cold. Bias adjustment is fiddly but easy.

So - the question. I loved my Carys, the look of them, their sound - have I made the right choice? Without a doubt! I can understand why 3 of 5 reviewers bought one.

Missed this! Nice one Adey, great choice.

I wouldn't worry about the power valves too much I don't think they are too stressed out in that configuration, should last a long time.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345