Hi all,

I've just bought a Mini-1 amp from another member, and after connecting it up I was trying to reposition it so that the weight of the cables didn't make it look like it was trying to do a wheelie. As I moved it there was a brief humming sound from the speakers (only a second or so).

The first CD I tried had a hard to define wrongness about the sound, as if the bass player hadn't bothered to turn up and gone to the pub instead.

I tried another Cd, and this time the sound was so quiet I had to turn the amp up to max volume just to hear anything.

I then hooked up my Audion Silver Night and the sound was still really quiet. So not an amp problem then. I worried that whatever made that brief hum had done something to my speakers, so I dug out my old B&W speakers. Still tiny volume, so not the speakers either.

A bit of cable swapping showed me the interconnect was good. I then tried my turntable and hey! volume back.

The CD player is a Densen Beat B400 plus. I thought CD players either played a CD or didn't. I didn't know they had anything to do with the volume of the signal, but apparently it does.

AOS has so many brainy folk, I'm sure someone will have the solution to my puzzle. Please help!