+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Magnepan 1.5 good buy?

I'm Johan.

Default Magnepan 1.5 good buy?

Hi all,

after about 1.5 - 2 years of building DIY electrostatic loudspeakers I'm curious about Magnepans / magnetostatic loudspeakers. I plan to buy a cheap pair of secondhand Magnepan loudspeakers just to enjoy music and to play with it / get some idea about how it works / is built.

I saw a Magnepan 1/5 for sale, I suppose it's the Magnepan 1.5. (correct me if I'm wrong). Here's a picture:

Are there any specific things I should check before buying them? I've read / seen delaminated wires that came loose / de-attached from the mylar for instance. And how about the price - I plan to offer about 300 euro's for them - assuming they are in good condition. Would that be a fair price?

Kind Regards

Bigman80 Guest

I've heard Maggie's and I really like what they do with HF and MIDs. The bass was OK but as with panel speakers you don't get that heart shaking bass.

Personal choice but as always but I'd have a pair no problem. Soundstage is unrivalled.

Hope that helps.

Ps ,,€300 seems very fair. A pair of know of went for £400 recently.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    I've heard Maggie's and I really like what they do with HF and MIDs. The bass was OK but as with panel speakers you don't get that heart shaking bass.
    Get a listen to some big Apogees. You'll change your mind!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Get a listen to some big Apogees. You'll change your mind!
    Lol, bloody hell Geoff! I'm doing my best to get a listen to everything

You disagree on the bass front with the Maggie's?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    You disagree on the bass front with the Maggie's?
    Not really. Bass reproduction from doublet type speakers is largely a dictated by panel/baffle size. Diaphragm excursion and speed are another matter though.

I find electrostatics seem to display more bass 'speed' than isodynamics, which can sound a bit more laid back. Big full range ribbons are a different ball game.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

I am on my second set of Maggies, having upgraded to the 1.7s.

Yes there is a limit to ultimate bass extension, but with the right amp, the speed and timbre of bass is exceptional with Maggies.

Problem, and it is a big problem, is that they are a nightmare to drive well.

If they are in decent condition that price is a steal.

Geoff

I'm Johan.

Hi everyone, thanks for your replies. Unfortunately the owner wants about 500 euro's for these speakers which is above my budget. But I'm still interested in magneto static planar loudspeakers so I hope to build a simple mid / low range magnetostatic driver myself in the near future!

Kind Regards, J.

+ Reply to Thread