+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long can a turntable remain boxed/unused?

I'm Hermano.

Default How long can a turntable remain boxed/unused?

hello all,

Quick query about a turntable my uncle gave me. Said he bought it a few years ago but never got round to even opening the box, as "went in another direction".

Think he bought it around 3 years ago. Would it still be okay? I have not opened the box yet as think i may sell it as not my 'style'

cheers

I'm jamie.

my rock2 was in the loft for more than 20yrs,no problem what so ever
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Hermano.

wow thanks for quick reply. many thanks.

I'm Geoff.

You didn't say what it is. If it's belt drive, the belt is likely past its best. Otherwise, just a check over and a drop of oil where needed should do the trick. Check the cartridge setup (if it has one).
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Hermano.

Hi, It's this one, so does have cartridge and belt.

http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?prod=ps01-wave

I'm Geoff.

Ideal starter deck. Check the belt, it may be OK. A small drop of oil to the motor spindle (avoid pulley) and on the main bearing and should be good to go after checking cartridge setup.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Russell.

3 years is not that long really. Your uncle is very cool!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Mick.

My old Pioneer turntable must have spend 20yrs in my loft and was ok when it was brought down apart from a dust and lube it was fine and worked ok. Its probably also down to how it was stored and in what enviroment.
    Technics SL1210 MK2 fully rebuilt and repainted. Ortofon 2M Black Cart, Isonoe isolation feet , MN bearing and Funk Firm platter upgrade, Oyaide RCA Tone Arm and speaker cables, Jelco SA-750D Tonearm. Oyaide HS-TF Carbon headshell, MCRU Linear External PSU, High Fidelity Crystal glass turntable matt, Blue LED upgrade, Denon AVR-2808CI Amp, Bowers and Wilkins DM602S3 Speakers,
    Black Rhodium Jazz power cables for amp and turntable, Firebottle mk2 Phono Stage.

I'm Hermano.

Cheers for information, I feel better about leaving it a bit longer until i decide whether to use it or sell it. it is still in original unopened box so assume safe..under the bed.

I'm Jason.

It will be fine. Stock can sit on shelves for longer... the belt should be fine too. I can't see it perishing in that time (after all it wouldn't if it was in use) so long as it's not damp; unlikely in a bedroom. So use or sell whenever it takes your fancy. It's a nice deck.
    ----------------------
    Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do - you'll be a mile away. And have his shoes.

Wavy grooves go thru a RigB 540ML on an SL1500C. Digits stream from a cheapie CDP and a Sonos, into a Yamaha 803D driving Kralk Audio little 'uns. I used to have a Linn but I'm better now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast