+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TD124 arm upgrades

I'm Simon.

I'm not using any damping yet, I was looking into damping fluid options to try. The arm was supplied with one paddle.

I do like the blue point but I've not compared it to much it replaced a very old Technics epc cartridge which probably had a very worn stylus.

So at some point I'll try a different cartridge but who knows what. I'm limited with the croft to either mm or high output mc's without using a sut or head amp.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Source: Thorens TD124 Rega RB300, Sumiko bluepoint No2., Cambridge Audio D500 Special Edition CDP, Squeeze box Touch, PC with Trends Audio USB Audio DAC UD-10 Amplification: Croft Micro 25 basic pre, Leak Stereo 20, Trends Audio Class T TA-10, Fisher X100-A Speakers:Impulse H6 Interconnects: Handmade silver and TNT audio CAT5 speaker cables

I'm Geoff.

To be honest, I'd expect the arm/cartridge resonance to be on the high side with the Blue Point, not low.

As an economical option, you can fluid damp using STP petrol treatment. It's thick silicone oil. Like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STP-60300...sAAOSwkNZUdA1S
    It's what I use and works fine. You can thin it if need be, to suit whatever paddle you have. Saves forking out for tiny quantities of 'bespoke' silicone fluids at daft prices.

The Technics EPC cartridges tended to be very decent and yours could be well worth finding a new stylus for depending on which one it is.

The general rule with the 774 arm is if your cartridge is of medium to low compliance, try damping. If it's a high compliance one, you probably won't need damping. The Sumiko BP2 is on the lowish side, so fluid damping should help its performance.

Last edited by walpurgis; 19-11-2017 at 11:03.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Simon.

Geoff, you're completely right resonance frequency is 12Hz, I wrote the post from memory.

I think the epc is a 205mk4. It belongs to my dad and is now fitted with a new jico sas stylus maybe I'll have to try and borrow it again. I'm pretty sure it's still sat in the box.

Source: Thorens TD124 Rega RB300, Sumiko bluepoint No2., Cambridge Audio D500 Special Edition CDP, Squeeze box Touch, PC with Trends Audio USB Audio DAC UD-10 Amplification: Croft Micro 25 basic pre, Leak Stereo 20, Trends Audio Class T TA-10, Fisher X100-A Speakers:Impulse H6 Interconnects: Handmade silver and TNT audio CAT5 speaker cables

I'm Paul.

Yep it's still in the box awaiting that distant moment when I find the time to restore either the 301 or Lenco. Perhaps I'll bring it over next time we visit.
    Paul

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by paul(555) View Post
    Yep it's still in the box awaiting that distant moment when I find the time to restore either the 301 or Lenco. Perhaps I'll bring it over next time we visit.
    Maybe I'll have to borrow it again when we're over after Christmas

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12