+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vinyl tip for static!

I'm Grant.

I just do it once a side, occasionally twice. but you do have to do it slowly.

Certain types of crystals generate a votage in response to changes in mechanical pressure.When you squeeze the trigger on a Zerostat you are applying pressure to the crystal thereby generating a voltage.When you release the pressure on the trigger you reduce the pressure and thereby generate a voltage.

According to the makers the voltages produced by squeezing the trigger and releasing the trigger generates voltages that are equal but 180 degrees out of phase with each other and thereby cancel out resulting in a charge of 0 volts ( assuming that the application and reduction of pressure on the trigger are relatively similar in speed).

In theory the static voltage present on an LP will be far smaller than the voltage presented by the Zerostat and therefore will be neutralised.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    I just do it once a side, occasionally twice. but you do have to do it slowly.

Certain types of crystals generate a votage in response to changes in mechanical pressure.When you squeeze the trigger on a Zerostat you are applying pressure to the crystal thereby generating a voltage.When you release the pressure on the trigger you reduce the pressure and thereby generate a voltage.

According to the makers the voltages produced by squeezing the trigger and releasing the trigger generates voltages that are equal but 180 degrees out of phase with each other and thereby cancel out resulting in a charge of 0 volts ( assuming that the application and reduction of pressure on the trigger are relatively similar in speed).

In theory the static voltage present on an LP will be far smaller than the voltage presented by the Zerostat and therefore will be neutralised.
    Same as what I said above, but I think your last sentence nicely explains what is happening, that the voltages generated by the Zerostat are far greated than those of the triboelectrically generated charge on the record.
    Barry

I'm Alan.

Jim
    You could try grounding the carbon fiber brush
    You could also experiment if a ground lead to the Arm or main bearing helps, it certainly did when I had a gyro deck

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm Simon.

Am I alone in not cleaning a record before playing it None of my records are played before being cleaned in an Okki Nokki and put into new anti static inner sleeves.
    After playing a side of an Lp I give the stylus a gentle brush and the record goes straight back into it's sleeve. Static pops and crackles are never an issue.
    Simon.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by 337alant View Post
    Jim
    You could try grounding the carbon fiber brush
    You could also experiment if a ground lead to the Arm or main bearing helps, it certainly did when I had a gyro deck

Alan
    I have a new Audioquest gold carbon fibre brush which is meant to ground the static whilst you touch the gold handle but I find it does pick up more dust and debris but static seems to have increased.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Grant.

need to hold an earth with other hand Jim
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    need to hold an earth with other hand Jim
    I will give it a go Grant, can you suggest good earthing point?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I will give it a go Grant, can you suggest good earthing point?
    a radiator should be grounded.. earth point on a phono or TT too. could run a wire from that to hold.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Paul.

I read many years ago that if you breath gently into the inner sleeve with the record in situ after you have played it then the next time you take it out to play you will have reduced or eliminated the static, and I have found this does work .
    HI-FI SYSTEM:-
    Revox B250 Amp.
    Revox PR 99 mk2 R2R.
    Revox B126 C/D Player.
    Yamaha GT2000 T/Table with Shure MKIV Cartridge and Jeco VN-45HE SAS/R Stylus.
    Bang & Olufsen Beolab18's and the 19 Sub Speakers.

A/V 5.1 System :-
    Soundsend Wisa box.
    Harmen Kardon front and rear satellite.
    Legend 10.2 Silverback Active Centre.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by p147 View Post
    I read many years ago that if you breath gently into the inner sleeve with the record in situ after you have played it then the next time you take it out to play you will have reduced or eliminated the static, and I have found this does work .
    Yes it will to a point. Higher humidity will allow the electrons to reunite reducing static.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast