+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vinyl tip for static!

I'm James.

Default Vinyl tip for static!

One of the problems we all have with vinyl playback is static and clicks and pops caused by the static dragging dust into the grooves so I have tried to find solutions to improve this problem which can be annoying to say the least.

I am fortunate enough to have a good RCM (VPI 16.5 ) which does a good job of both cleaning and reducing static but it is only a temporary solution even when I store records in Nagoaka anti static record sleeves.

So I looked at my record playing ritual and as a rule I always use a carbon fibre brush before playing a record. I stopped using this and the amount of static reduced significantly This did however have a knock on effect which allowed more dust and fluff to build up on the record. I ignored this and decided if I could not hear it I would live with it. It does mean however I have to clean my stylus a bit more often. I can live with this as the static problem is so much reduced.

Secondly I have a turntable that has no cover which is obviously means it's a dust magnet so the platter mat gets a fine covering if I leave it for a week. Solution, I leave an old LP record on the platter when I am not using it. This seems to not only act as a dust cover it also helps reduce static when I pop a record on.

Hope some of these tips help anyone out there with static problems. I would be interested to hear if you observe the same results.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Mike.

Default Vinyl tip for static!

I was going to try some anti static cord over the top of the platter when playing as I get loads of static too, mainly on new records so I think it’s in the material used having a high static content.

The cord is used by printers to remove static when printing on laminate and similar materials. Only drawback is that it’s £250 for a 10m roll, but it would be very effective. I think there is a hifi firm trying to make a suitable device with it to fit on/over your turntable.

But in all honesty it just needs an earth at one end and a way of stretching it over the record without touching it.

I'm Grant.

you tried an antistatic gun? my cleaning fluid also has some in which helps.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    you tried an antistatic gun? my cleaning fluid also has some in which helps.
    Not tried an anti static gun as I am a bit sceptical they work?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    I was going to try some anti static cord over the top of the platter when playing as I get loads of static too, mainly on new records so I think it’s in the material used having a high static content.

The cord is used by printers to remove static when printing on laminate and similar materials. Only drawback is that it’s £250 for a 10m roll, but it would be very effective. I think there is a hifi firm trying to make a suitable device with it to fit on/over your turntable.

But in all honesty it just needs an earth at one end and a way of stretching it over the record without touching it.
    That maybe a good solution Mike, if you can make it work?

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    yes, they work. well mine does. ive 2; one is an old type but it still fires a bit out. dont last fot ever mind and are way overpriced but thats audio for you.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    They do work, but it gets a bit tiresome using one for every record change.

Just keep a potted plant or two in the room, that helps keep static down.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Deleted.

I have a 'no dustcover' turntable and have made a disc to cover the platter when not in use.

The only time I encounter static is when I first open a record - after that I never have an issue. If you want to avoid static don't clean your records when they are on the platter - don't use an anti-static brush or carbon brush etc. Also, don't have the central heating on all the time - this dries out the air and is a significant contributor to static.
    Account Deleted

I'm Mike.

My anti stat gun must work fine, my grandson runs like hell when I chase him with it, well... he did ask to see how it felt, ONCE

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    My anti stat gun must work fine, my grandson runs like hell when I chase him with it, well... he did ask to see how it felt, ONCE
    A cooker lighter is very similar, but dirt cheap. Just make sure it has no gas in if you try one. Both rely on a piezo element.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast