+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Vinyl tip for static!

I'm Simon.

I clean every LP with my RCM and use anti-static sleeves and still suffer from static build-up. I do find that once on the platter and I've done a quick glide over with the carbon fibre brush (I put my index finger from other hand on the spindle) it does the job, although it does build up again as then when I take it off the felt mat comes with it! I don't seem to suffer from static type ticks/clicks during playback so I just get on with it. No idea if touching the spindle is earthing or not but it does usually give off a few spark-like sounds through the speakers most times. I must be charged up or something!

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Yes it will to a point. Higher humidity will allow the electrons to reunite reducing static.
    Static is caused by rubbing two dry surfaces together such as a record and a dry microfibre cloth, or sleeve. A little moisture will stop the static building up. You can get rid of static by lightly misting a record with recording cleaning liquid and letting it evaporate off too.
    ~Paul~

I'm Paul.

I should have added it works better after you have had a glass or two of whiskey due to its alcoholic content, serious.
    Quote Originally Posted by p147 View Post
    I read many years ago that if you breath gently into the inner sleeve with the record in situ after you have played it then the next time you take it out to play you will have reduced or eliminated the static, and I have found this does work .
    HI-FI SYSTEM:-
    Revox B250 Amp.
    Revox PR 99 mk2 R2R.
    Revox B126 C/D Player.
    Yamaha GT2000 T/Table with Shure MKIV Cartridge and Jeco VN-45HE SAS/R Stylus.
    Bang & Olufsen Beolab18's and the 19 Sub Speakers.

A/V 5.1 System :-
    Soundsend Wisa box.
    Harmen Kardon front and rear satellite.
    Legend 10.2 Silverback Active Centre.

I'm Russell.

I have noticed the ground wire to the spindle on my ‘table, now I know why! I’ve seen a carbon fiber brush at Music Direct that has a ground wire with alligator clip attached, perhaps that would be a good purchase? I had some issues with static on my old Project, that had a felt mat, but now I’ve got a thick acrylic platter with no mat, and static is not a major issue now. Grounded spindle? Maybe so. Also when I use my RCM, I only allow it to go around twice when vacuuming the fluid, the air rushing over a dry record will generate static. And I also have a Zerostat gun, that I use in the Winter time. And many times I play a record directly after washing it, static is not a problem. And a product called Groove Glide, comes in a spray can with microfiber buffs, is supposed to eliminate static on Records. It also reduces wear, etc. I used some on a batch of about 20 Records when I was about 18, at the time I didn’t see a lot of difference in performance. But now, some 37 years later, I see that those 20 Records have remained in better shape than other albums of the same age. Although I must confess that I haven’t bought any Groove Glide lately. But if static is really bothering you maybe it’s worth a try?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by p147 View Post
    I should have added it works better after you have had a glass or two of whiskey due to its alcoholic content, serious.
    Best advice on this thread!

I'm Andrew.

After reading this thread I decided to experiment and since I stopped using an anti-static brush have no static.

Excellent thread.

I'm James.

I have done exactly the same Andrew and it has made a significant difference!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Andrew.

Makes for a far more relaxing listen.

I'm James.

Thought I would use my carbon fibre brush again last night as I had a large build up of fluff and debris on a certain record. Again straight after I had static issues again! I have decided therefore to bin the carbon fibre brush and just use my VPI record cleaning machine when records get particularly dirty/ noisy. The problem with the brush is that although it removes some surface debris it introduces so much static that it immediately attracts more dust and fluff to the record. Defeats the whole object of the exercise.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Thought I would use my carbon fibre brush again last night as I had a large build up of fluff and debris on a certain record. Again straight after I had static issues again! I have decided therefore to bin the carbon fibre brush and just use my VPI record cleaning machine when records get particularly dirty/ noisy. The problem with the brush is that although it removes some surface debris it introduces so much static that it immediately attracts more dust and fluff to the record. Defeats the whole object of the exercise.
    Just like a comb will pick up paper after combing your hair, or balloons will stick to your head if you rub it, carbon fiber is a good insulator, which means it holds static. I’ve seen a brush that has a ground wire with alligator clip in the catalog, it’s not cheap! But perhaps addresses the issue? I totally agree that a quick wash and vacuum gives the best playback! Hopefully some vinyl sleeves will keep it clean and ready to play for several times between washing. I can take a record that has been washed and stored in a vinyl sleeve and put it on the table and play it, with no brushing, many, many times. Taking them off and putting them back in the vinyl sleeve right after you play is my weakness, Im famous for leaving a record on the table for a few days. Even with the cover on it still gathers dust.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234