+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vinyl tip for static!

I'm Grant.

you can buy cleanroom guns on ebay.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Paul.

I have grounded the spindle and I find this helps a lot. Also if I have any issues with static caused by the carbon fibre brush I make sure That I touch something that is earthed, like the spindle, and that I am touching the carbon fibre of the brush. This seems to provide enough grounding to stop static building up. I also think that the platter mat is a big culprit, I have never got on with felt mats due to the static.
    ~Paul~

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalsea View Post
    I have grounded the spindle and I find this helps a lot.
    Assuming the turntable chassis is earthed correctly, surely the spindle is grounded through the bearing anyway. Unless it's a ceramic bearing or in a non-conductive housing?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Steve.

Interesting stuff, this. I also found that a carbon fibre brush tended to make things worse - weird! Also seems that some records are just inherently more staticky than others - sometimes it's a struggle to get them from the sleeve. Without a doubt, wet cleaning and anti-static liners make the most difference in my experience

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalsea View Post
    I have grounded the spindle and I find this helps a lot. Also if I have any issues with static caused by the carbon fibre brush I make sure That I touch something that is earthed, like the spindle, and that I am touching the carbon fibre of the brush. This seems to provide enough grounding to stop static building up. I also think that the platter mat is a big culprit, I have never got on with felt mats due to the static.
    That is the only way carbon fibre brushes should be used. If you don't 'earth' yourself, all you will do is induce static when cleaning a record.

The use of antistatic guns can do more harm than good if they are not used properly. Squeezing the trigger will generate negative ions which will help remove static build up on the record, releasing the trigger will generate positive ions which will simply undo the effect. So squeeze when the gun is pointed at the record and release with the gun pointed away.

A well-watered plant placed near the turntable works well.
    Barry

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    That is the only way carbon fibre brushes should be used. If you don't 'earth' yourself, all you will do is induce static when cleaning a record.

The use of antistatic guns can do more harm than good if they are not used properly. Squeezing the trigger will generate negative ions which will help remove static build up on the record, releasing the trigger will generate positive ions which will simply undo the effect. So squeeze when the gun is pointed at the record and release with the gun pointed away.

A well-watered plant placed near the turntable works well.
    Funny that, when I bought my zerostat forty odd years ago the instructions stated that one should squeeze and release slowly several times whilst pointing the gun at the record from about 30cm IIRC. That is what I continue to do and it seems to work just fine, as does the zerostat. Forty years of continuous use, in my world, represents a good product priced accord to its utility value and not over priced.
    I have had terrible trouble with cork mats in the past, and still experience static build up whilst the record plays, presumably from friction between the stylus and the groove. I use zerostat at the beginning and end of each side 's a result.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I'm Shaun.

To keep some of the dust off mine I use an old unwanted white acrylic turntable mat that is never going to be used as it should be. Saves a bit of time but I still have to clean the whole thing on a regular basis. Another aspect of owning and using a turntable I guess. For me though it is worth it as only a month or so back I was contemplating getting rid of the bloody lot

I'm James.

Might have to put anti static gun on xmas list? Interesting other folk had issues with carbon fibre brush!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    A cooker lighter is very similar, but dirt cheap. Just make sure it has no gas in if you try one. Both rely on a piezo element.
    My original gun broke and when I saw the price that they are now I kept my money in my pocket.

Would a gas lighter piezo used in the same way have the same effect, how do we find out ?
    Turntable : Project 2 Xperience Tone Arm & Cartridge : Project 9c Ortofon 2M Blue Phono Stage : Project Phono Box SE II Digital Source :Primare CD21 Integrated Amp : Primare I30 Speakers : ProAc 110 Headphones : Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro

Revox A77 MK IV 2 track 15 & 7 1/2 IPS
    TEAC A-3300SX 4 track 7 1/2 & 3 3/4 IPS
    Akai 4000DS MkII

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazid View Post
    Funny that, when I bought my zerostat forty odd years ago the instructions stated that one should squeeze and release slowly several times whilst pointing the gun at the record from about 30cm IIRC. That is what I continue to do and it seems to work just fine, as does the zerostat. Forty years of continuous use, in my world, represents a good product priced accord to its utility value and not over priced.
    I have had terrible trouble with cork mats in the past, and still experience static build up whilst the record plays, presumably from friction between the stylus and the groove. I use zerostat at the beginning and end of each side 's a result.
    Fair enough - I was assuming the gun worked on a piezoelectric principle, which generates a high voltage when the piezoelectric element is squeezed (or twisted) in one direction, this then creates ions of one polarity. When the trigger is released, the 'squeeze' is in the opposite direstion and so generates a high voltage of the opposite polarity, and ions also having the opposite polarity. Perhaps the Zerostat has a different ion generating mechanism.

I have to confess I have rarely been bothered with static. I don't use a fancy mat, relying on the carbon black loaded rubber mat supplied by the turntable manufacturer and use of a Decca carbon fibre record cleaning brush in the manner described above.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast