One of the problems we all have with vinyl playback is static and clicks and pops caused by the static dragging dust into the grooves so I have tried to find solutions to improve this problem which can be annoying to say the least.

I am fortunate enough to have a good RCM (VPI 16.5 ) which does a good job of both cleaning and reducing static but it is only a temporary solution even when I store records in Nagoaka anti static record sleeves.

So I looked at my record playing ritual and as a rule I always use a carbon fibre brush before playing a record. I stopped using this and the amount of static reduced significantly This did however have a knock on effect which allowed more dust and fluff to build up on the record. I ignored this and decided if I could not hear it I would live with it. It does mean however I have to clean my stylus a bit more often. I can live with this as the static problem is so much reduced.

Secondly I have a turntable that has no cover which is obviously means it's a dust magnet so the platter mat gets a fine covering if I leave it for a week. Solution, I leave an old LP record on the platter when I am not using it. This seems to not only act as a dust cover it also helps reduce static when I pop a record on.

Hope some of these tips help anyone out there with static problems. I would be interested to hear if you observe the same results.