+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I'm Having A Deep Purple Re-Awakening.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Martin.

Default I'm Having A Deep Purple Re-Awakening.

I saw them on BBC red button and thought right Im ordering Made In Japan. I was worried that this is a guilty pleasure but I sampled lots of albums and live performances on i tunes.

It was a bit like seeing them playing to Radio 2 Grandads but I wanted to revisit some of the classic early albums like In Rock and Machine Head

A nostalgia trip is kicking in and I always remember thinking the earlier line up with Gillan, Lord, Blackmore is the best.

I thought that as a young teenager and remember being disappointed about Ian Gillan leaving. I never thought Coverdale and other singers carried on the magic.

I have read quite a bit about their history and formation. I tend to think that they peaked up to say 1975. Whether they are part of the holy trinity of hard rock and founders of metal is a whole debate. A transition from 60s R&B to heavy rock if you like.

Whether they sound dated in some areas is another debate but they have recorded some stonking live performances...Stockholm and all over the world.

Obviously Made In Japan is considered a live benchmark and I have ordered the remastered version with extra encores.

Any comments please?
    Cheers
    Martin
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 18-11-2017 at 01:11.

+ Reply to Thread