+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TT2 Levelling & Arm Board

I'm Svend.

Steve, just a thought: you might consider getting some nice hardwood veneered plywood from a specialty lumber supplier to get a new armboard made up. Something like curly or birdseye maple, or a walnut burl, or yew, could look really beautiful on the Heybrook. For a small fee they would even custom cut it to your dimensions, so all you'd have to do is insert the recessed mounting bolts between the layers, glue together, and finish the top surface with, say, a clear spray lacquer (you can buy this in aerosol cans).

Food for thought....

Svend

I'm Jim.

Just read this thread so i thought i would add my experience. I have a TT2 with alloy sub chassis. Also was unable to set cartridge azimuth relative to the platter. So scratched head! In my case the culprit was the subchassis which is curved slightly to the right after checking with straight edge. This deck is in really good condition supposedly having been set up by the previous owners dealer. How they missed this is a mystery.
    Short of having the sub-chassis milled flat the only answer is to shim the right side of armboard, not ideal.
    This could only have happened during manufacture as the sub-chassis to strong for it to be bent after.
    Jim

I'm Steve.

Unlevel sub-chassis - incredible!

Thanks for adding to the growing TT2 information Jim. Please expand.. how much was it out by? I'm guessing you must have totally stripped the deck to the bare components to check it with any degree of certainty? What did you decide to do in the end - shim the board or something else? My temporary fix was a shim between headshell and cartridge

As you may have gathered, I'm having a new armboard made up in the hope that that will fix or at least improve matters. Certainly there are others here on the forum who have experienced warped armboards. Did you check your armboard (guess you did??) - was it okay?

This is all very fascinating and it's excellent that people are sharing their experiences.

Here's a thought...... maybe if the ones who have experienced this issue shared the deck serial number we could identify some kind of pattern? It won't necessarily help the situation but could maybe explain things if there was a defined period when these QC type issues occurred?

I'm Jim.

Yes, out by a fair margin,enough to bother me. Initially i thought the arm was at fault (Linn Basic) so it took a while to find the curved subchassis. I would need to shim the right edge of armboard by about 1 1/2 mm or so. I took the subchassis right out and checked with a straight edge. It is noticeably curved even by eye. There was an article on the webb about the same problem. The owner had his subchassis milled flat.
    Regards Jim

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12