+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Caiman SEG with battery / Linear PSU

I'm Jerry.

After a while pondering what was available I decided to get a Chinese linear supply, this one:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=1890653521002. I just couldn't justify paying the same sort of amount for a power supply as the SEG costs.
    I picked it because it had an R-core transformer, however, at this price, I doubt it makes much difference which transformer is fitted. Anyway it took about two weeks to get here and was well packaged.
    I am pleased with the quality and certainly feels heavy and well built. I gives out a steady 15.2v ( the extra .2v wont damage the SEG long term will it Stan?). The extra couple of volts seems to give a greater dynamic range and improves the sound stage.
    I will need to do something with the voltage display though; its like Blackpool illuminations.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
    After a while pondering what was available I decided to get a Chinese linear supply, this one:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=1890653521002.
    I am pleased with the quality and certainly feels heavy and well built. I gives out a steady 15.2v ( the extra .2v wont damage the SEG long term will it Stan?). The extra couple of volts seems to give a greater dynamic range and improves the sound stage.
    The extra 0.2V won't do any damage. Those Chinese linear power supply do the job of providing an unswitched DC output, unlike a SMPS. The tidying up of the DC voltage from the power supply is carried out inside the SEG by three different filtering circuits.

I'm Jerry.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    The extra 0.2V won't do any damage. Those Chinese linear power supply do the job of providing an unswitched DC output, unlike a SMPS. The tidying up of the DC voltage from the power supply is carried out inside the SEG by three different filtering circuits.
    Cheers Stan.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm TAD.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    Hi there Stan,

As you know, for at least 3 years I've been using a 15v power supply from Custom HIFI cables in Leeds. It's a super modded DC3 with ALL the bells and whistles.

http://www.custom-hifi-cables.co.uk/...3-power-supply.

Expensive it is, BUT, do I need another one, ever, probably not.

I have 2 SEG's which are wired up so that one controls the treble part and the other controls the mid range / bass of the speaker x overs. Coupled with 4 monoblocks driving 2 refurbished Mission 753's. The missions in my opinion are still super sounding and look elegant too.

Anyways, I've just had my SEGs uprated with parts received from Stan. After extensive listening on my own and with friends, we have come to a conclusion.

BEST MOD EVER. The sound stage is (and was) rock solid. It appears that the volume level does not have to be very high to reveal all the nuances in the music being played. My system is used for both TV and BD/CD output, using spdif optical cables.

Any thoughts here will surely only be applicable to my particular setup. All that counts is that I and my family / mates, etc., like what they hear. WE DO.

Stan, with this latest mod, you have another bargain. Great sound at an affordable cost. Just because it's expensive it must be good, does not apply in this house.

I'm going into hibernation and getting back to listening to some concert Blurays in glorious Stereo. It's still cold here in Montreal, only minus 11C.

Regards. T.

I'm Jerry.

BEST MOD EVER.

That settles it, I will have to have the mod done.
    I have The DC1 power supply with a Custom Hifi Cables headphone amp, both bought as pre-production models a good few years ago. Outstanding, totally reliable products that deserve more attention. Its a pity Sean doesn't contribute here.
    Jerry

I'm TAD.

Jerry,
    Agree with you 100%. Sean makes some tasty gear. My DC3 was custom built with six outputs, 4 x 18v and 2 x 18/15v. It's a monster and I have nothing but good words to say about the quality of his work.

Can't go wrong with a top notch power supply. hope you enjoy your upgrade. Please let me know your thoughts if and when you come down from cloud 9.

Kind regards.
    T.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123