+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Study get an upgrade

I'm Corne.

Default The Study get an upgrade

Ok so I went out looking for a new set of speakers. First thing I had to try: the hugely hyped up LS50.
    What is all the hype about they about ? It’s as exiting as a nuns penguin suit. We had them on a Arcam 429, Rotel 1552 and my Cambridge 651 none of these being exactly lazy amps. The same theme seems to be present nice highs good mids nice enough punche down low but it’s is missing detail lower down and low. As a joke I listened to the q700 and q950 same amp same songs same volume ( well as close as I could get it) if I had to pick from these the Q700’s were most convincing and fixing the bottom end detail basket without being just about bass. The 950 lost the plot it all about the bass so they sound sloooooow and drawn out. Flight of the cosmic hippo was plain boring on the 950 and just wrong on the 50 much better on the 750 but not fun.

I wanted compact speakers as the room is small my study. Main criteria sound musical and fun even down low( volume) You ask why bother with the floor standers, it’s the usual thing sales guys not listening to criteria. Next was the focal chorus 705 I already own a pair of these but have never had them on the Cambridge and a welcome surprise they were. Yes not as detailed or crisp at the top but not far behind the LS50, also a bit less bass when loud but they were more detailed revealing cello abuse and hair shredding off the bow. Very much fun and warm on the Cambridge ( took the amp along as this is the amp I’m going to use in the
    Is room moving the yba setup to our bedroom. I have the focal on the yba now so familiar with their shortcomings. Like the ls50 they need to be played a bit louder than what is needed in this room. Think this is the curse of the small speaker.

Tried some Klipsch bookshelf’s and was mostly impressed but those horns kill my ears.

Anybody have a sudgestion on where to next. i’m Trying to find the focal aria 906 to listen to hoping they will work just that bit better at lower volumes. Also the PSB imagine B the sales guy is pushing the PSB hard saying they are best thing since toast. Never heard a PSB and they don’t keep stock so They want me to commit before hearing it. Ain’t happening I’ll fly to Auckland for a day to listen to both up there. But need to make it worth while listening to at least another 2 sets.
    Monitor audio silver series were nice and on the short list at this point if this helps. Dali agent has me running for the hills they want $1290+gst for the dali zensor3 consider the ls50 are only $1450 the dalis are not $1200 speakers maybe the Opticons but the zensors not.

Any sudgestions welcomed budget £1000 / US$1300 / NZ$2000 I can go over but I prefer not to as I’m also putting money away for a set of Klipsch Cornwall III boxes that stole my heart.

Thank you in advance.

I'm Geoff.

https://omegaloudspeakers.com/collec...nt=32172350732

You might need to fly to OZ to hear though!

Geoff

I'm Corne.

They are available in NZ just not wellington but that’s nothing new. I’ll make an effort to listen to a set they sound interesting.
    They run on as little as 2W suddenly the little 7.5W valve amp I’m building in said study might get used and is not just for s...ts & giggles.

I'm Corne.

Thank you for the advise I have very boldly orderd a set of super 7 mk2s they are less than a set of dali zensor 3's new. If I dont like them there is always our version of flea bay.

+ Reply to Thread