+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: tda 1541 - why not re-make?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Dave,

Yep, me too. I was quite disappointed with it having heard it at Ian's and Dave's. Your system is probably more revealing and showing its weakness. I wonder if I should have first let all those new caps burn in for a few days ?
    Given what we heard today, I don't think the most super-duper, fully run-in, caps in the world would have bridged the (embarrassingly huge) gap between it and the Sony.... Mind you, like you said, we're talking about two very different price tags for both!

As good as the Sony was though I thought that the SL-1210 murdered it. I hadn't been listening to vinyl for a few days, so I guess that the sound of the T/T had gone out of my head a bit, but when it went in and the needle hit the groove, all of a sudden we had REAL music instead of just a very impressive snapshot of such...

Just when you think digital can't get much better, along comes a veritable (analogue) reality check that bites you on the bum and puts the cat amongst the pigeons!!

To Marco I may becoming a Kraut rock fan,much better than Nora Jones.
    Hahaha.... Yes, I was surprised that you liked Rammstein. I could defo see you in a little German uniform throwing some shapes on the dance floor, doing ya goose-step thang!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Audiocom View Post
    Hello

If Philips remade the TDA1541 S2 then DIYER’s worldwide would celebrate, but I doubt than many OEM’s would take the product on.

The best way to enjoy the TDA1541 still seems to be DIY and you can still find the S1 versions if you hunt around.

Then there is the Sony DAS-R1, Marantz CD7 or Philips CD12/DA12 players & DAC’s, Ken Kessler uses a modified CD12/DA12 as his reference player.

Best Regards,
    Mark
    Hi Mark,

How's it going, mate? I hope all is well

You'd have been proud of the way your modified DAS-R1 performed today during the sesh I had with the two Daves. I really should have you modify it further, but one wonders just how much better it could become?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Neil.

Hi Guys

Don't forget the AMR CD77, which uses TDA1541 Dacs, with a valve output stage.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

Indeed

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Indeed

Marco.
    Or the Zanden Cd players.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm Mark.

Hi Mark,

How's it going, mate? I hope all is well

You'd have been proud of the way your modified DAS-R1 performed today during the sesh I had with the two Daves. I really should have you modify it further, but one wonders just how much better it could become?

Marco.
    Hello Marco

All is well.

It is time we caught up.

How much better can your modified DAS-R1 get? Answer, I have a modification for it that will blow your socks off!! This tweak I am excited about, it amounts to a high percentage of the gains you had in the last session in one hit. I will e-mail you next week with the info.

All the best,
    Mark
    Mark @ Audiocom, Wales UK - 01646 650008

Website

Facebook

Twitter

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Or the Zanden Cd players.

Regards D S D L
    Hello,

Yes, two very capable players I missed.

The Avondale AAA5 is also superb, and for £450 plus donor player it is a steal.

Long live the TDA1541.

Cheers,
    Mark
    Mark @ Audiocom, Wales UK - 01646 650008

Website

Facebook

Twitter

Hello Marco

All is well.

It is time we caught up.
    Nice one and indeed!

How much better can your modified DAS-R1 get? Answer, I have a modification for it that will blow your socks off!! This tweak I am excited about, it amounts to a high percentage of the gains you had in the last session in one hit. I will e-mail you next week with the info.
    Oooh don't get me excited, I'm not due to change my underpants again for a few weeks, hahahaha... I look forward to it!!

Marco.
    Main System

leo is offline Circuit Junkie & DIY Room Forum Leader

Good old TDA1541A, it'll still remain as ONE of my favourites .

Its problem is its expensive and awkward to work with if you want the best results, it requires more supplies than most and those supplies need to be very good quality, it requires careful layout and grounding, things like current to voltage conversion, digital filter and other critical parts are external which is great for us diyers but a pain in the arse for the manufacturers trying to keep costs down, most had to cut corners, so much so you end up with a finished product which often is a pile of crap. some TDA1541A's also required replacing after time because they went noisy.
    Over time dacs got smaller and most of that external circuitry was now crammed inside the dac chip, it gets to a stage where the dac chip becomes much easier and far cheaper to implement although ultimate performance usually used to take a hit . Things are finally starting to get much better although there is still many crap new designs out there, probably more crap than decent stuff imo
    Cheers,
    Leo

leo is offline Circuit Junkie & DIY Room Forum Leader

I honestly expected much more from the Havana than it delivered....

Marco.
    Wouldn't be surprised tbh looking at it, way too many over flavoured components crammed inside it imo, I'd imagine it would be showed up pretty bad in a revealing system
    Cheers,
    Leo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast