+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small (passive) speaker recommendation

I'm Edward.

Default Small (passive) speaker recommendation

Looking for ideas on a speaker recommendation please.

This for my study/dining room and due to layout needs to be table/bookshelf mounted (so no rear ports, stands etc).

Currently (and indeed for years) have been using an ancient Acoustic Research 8BX which was restored/upgraded by Wembley Loudspeaker also ages ago. Fairly open and detailed sound but not 'emotional' and involving enough. Especially when compared to the Kudos or PMCs I use in the main room.

The AR 8BX measure 40/24/18 (h/w/d in cm) so looking for something up to that size, ideally smaller. Looking for used, but for now don't want to open a WTD thread, just seeking ideas.

cheers
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Pretty essential to give an idea of your budget here Edward, lots to choose from
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Clive.

These are good and easy to drive as they are a single driver (no crossover).
    http://markaudio-sota.us/cesti-mb/
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm Geoff.

Notwithstanding your comment about ports, these are specifically designed for desktop use.

https://www.divineaudio.co.uk/omega-...-speakers-pair

If your budget is lower I can thoroughly endorse Martin Logan Motion 2 or Motion 4 models. I have a pair of the Motion 2 and they are awesome. Bought them as part of my updated travelling hifi. Used with a Nuforce Icon amp the setup fits into a case not much large than a shoebox. Fantastic speed, detail and dynamics. These are serious speakers. Yes bass output is limited but with reinforcement from a back wall and desktop they do not sound lightweight.

https://hometheaterreview.com/martin...stem-reviewed/

Geoff

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Pretty essential to give an idea of your budget here Edward, lots to choose from
    You are right Tim. I intentionally left that piece out as I'm flexible. Let's say max a 'few' hundred, but not 'several'. I have a knack of convincing myself of going just a bit further so I will need to resist as they will not be the main listening speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    These are good and easy to drive as they are a single driver (no crossover).
    http://markaudio-sota.us/cesti-mb/
    Ooo they look lovely. I will dig deeper on those Clive. Bit expensive but maybe second hand more reasonable.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Notwithstanding your comment about ports, these are specifically designed for desktop use.

https://www.divineaudio.co.uk/omega-...-speakers-pair

If your budget is lower I can thoroughly endorse Martin Logan Motion 2 or Motion 4 models. I have a pair of the Motion 2 and they are awesome. Bought them as part of my updated travelling hifi. Used with a Nuforce Icon amp the setup fits into a case not much large than a shoebox. Fantastic speed, detail and dynamics. These are serious speakers. Yes bass output is limited but with reinforcement from a back wall and desktop they do not sound lightweight.

https://hometheaterreview.com/martin...stem-reviewed/

Geoff
    Thanks Geoff. The Motion 2 (or perhaps Motion 4) looks like an interesting alternative. Combined with something like the Nuforce Icon it would also solve the issue of what I do when away from home. I could throw them in the car and still have decent music.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    Thanks Geoff. The Motion 2 (or perhaps Motion 4) looks like an interesting alternative. Combined with something like the Nuforce Icon it would also solve the issue of what I do when away from home. I could throw them in the car and still have decent music.
    Edward,

If I had not been looking for a portable speaker, I might have gone for the Motion 4 which has somewhat more bass extension. However, both speakers share the same Air Motion tweeter which is what elevates this from a PC speaker to a hifi speaker. Both designs come with a neat wall mounting dongle that allows for downward firing of the speaker towards the listening position, and some users place these high up to get bass reinforcement from wall/ceiling boundaries. What I love about them is their dynamics and speed.. I would imagine that they would work well with a small subwoofer, but frankly when not travelling they are used in a bedroom system and sound great.

They also work very well with this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nobsound-Bl...ooth+amp&psc=1 though it is important to use it with a power supply rated at least 4amp, ideally 5amp. The bluetooth facility makes it a cinch to stream music from a phone or tablet.

Geoff

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    I have a knack of convincing myself of going just a bit further so I will need to resist . . .
    Haha, I hear you - I fall foul of that in pretty much everything I do in life!
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Neil.

Default Small (passive) speaker recommendation

I would get a pair of Royd Merlins. Couple of pairs up on eBay at the moment. Wickedly musical speakers, involving and fast. They don’t come up for sale that often.

Or my sub-£100 choice: a pair of old-style Mission 780SE.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    Or my sub-£100 choice: a pair of old-style Mission 780SE.
    Absolutely.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast