+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Climbing The Greasy Pole

I'm Ben.

Default Climbing The Greasy Pole

...Or descending the slippery slope? Either way, I'm having fun, even if my bank balance isn't! As I wrote in my 'Welcome' thread,1 I'm up to my neck in a major upgrade, so I thought I'd start a thread detailing my progess.

The first step was replacing my old Quad 303 with the Aleph 3, which dropped the noise floor by a factor of about 50.2 Next came the Aleph Ono, which really sharpened up bass and percussion and made everything sound all crisp and punchy.3 Today part three landed in the form of an NOS Pass Labs X2 pre. I confess to a certain amount of trepidation here; how much more could there be to come without changing source or speakers? Answer: lots more! Given that it is fresh out of the box, and therefore presumably still running in, the difference is really appreciable. Compared to the Quad 33 it replaced4 the noise floor has dropped again, and a layer of previously unapparent harshness is gone. The sound feels creamier and richer from top to bottom, with a stately, unhurried quality. Not that it's slow; more that the music is unfolding at its own pace rather than being squeezed out of a tube. Cymbals sound like struck brass rather than bursts of static, and acoustic guitars seem full, woody and resonant. I've got that lovely new gear feeling, where I can't decide what to play next, just to hear the difference.

Things are moving on apace, as I'm also in the process of buying a tonearm to go with the Bauer,5 then the hunt's on for a cart. On of the surprises thus far is that the little 2M Red hasn't disgraced itself pushing a back end of infinitely greater value than it was ever intended to be paired with. With every addition it's just showed a little more of itself. Even so, I can't wait so see what something really good can do!

Onwards and upwards!

1 Thanks, by the way to all for the warm reception. I got a bit behind in replying.
    2 To be fair to the poor old Quad it was well overdue a service and was making random Rice Krispies noises, so not really showing its best.
    3 I have a suspicion that being able to show the 2M Red the right capacitance did no end of good on its own.
    4 Another unfair comparison.
    5 Details once the deal's done.
    Last edited by BenK; 16-11-2017 at 08:16. Reason: Spelling
    Analogue: Bauer Audio DPS 2, Schröder DPS, Denon DL103, Pass Labs Aleph ONO Digital: Naim CD3, Benchmark DAC1 PRE Pre Amp: Pass Labs X2 Power Amp: Pass Labs Aleph 3 Speakers: Wilson Sophia 1s Cables: Mötley

I'm Timothy.

I was almost afraid to open this thread with the heading as it read.... In all seriousness, looks like a fine setup, hard to beat some of the Pass gear, solid, good sounding kit. I had an X150 amp and X1 preamp a number of years ago, very enjoyable!

Have fun with your journey, most of all, enjoy the music! Welcome aboard!
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

I'm Andrew.

I like the science based reference system.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm gone.

Wow - certainly a big leap going from some TLC-required vintage Quad gear to Pass Labs!

I'm a happy owner of a Pass X150, and very pleasing it is.

The Ortofon Red is a much maligned cartridge, unfairly so, imo - you often see comments along the lines of "it's OK, but you should try ....."
    I had a Red in a review tt package and was very pleased with its performance. It was an £80 cart iirc at the time, and I could think of quite a few famous names at twice the price that would struggle against it.

Those AE120 speakers of yours, though ....
    Good for the price, but maybe the next thing for an upgrade?

I'm Ben.

Thanks again for the welcome folks!

REXTON:

I like the science based reference system.
    One of my tutors at university was a real stickler for footnotes; it kinda stuck.

jandl100:

Wow - certainly a big leap going from some TLC-required vintage Quad gear to Pass Labs!
    Yup! My system had been basically unchanged for about 15 years, so it's essentially a big jump rather than lots of incremental steps. I'm hoping to put together something that I can be happy with for a long time rather than get sucked into a never-ending quest for perfection. (That's the plan anyway...)

The Ortofon Red is a much maligned cartridge, unfairly so, imo - you often see comments along the lines of "it's OK, but you should try ....."
    I had a Red in a review tt package and was very pleased with its performance. It was an £80 cart iirc at the time, and I could think of quite a few famous names at twice the price that would struggle against it.
    Agreed; I've also seen people suggest it's a stepping stone to pass over as quickly as possible, which I don't get. While you undoubtedly get more of everything when you move further up the tree, the Red really does very little that's actually wrong, to my ears at least.

Those AE120 speakers of yours, though ....
    Good for the price, but maybe the next thing for an upgrade?
    Yeah, their days are numbered, although once I've got the analogue front end sorted my finances may need a little while to recover! A project for next year, I think.
    Analogue: Bauer Audio DPS 2, Schröder DPS, Denon DL103, Pass Labs Aleph ONO Digital: Naim CD3, Benchmark DAC1 PRE Pre Amp: Pass Labs X2 Power Amp: Pass Labs Aleph 3 Speakers: Wilson Sophia 1s Cables: Mötley

I'm Ben.

And the next bit! A Schröder DPS tonearm has just landed.

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by BenK View Post
    And the next bit! A Schröder DPS tonearm has just landed.

I'm Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post

Your wish is my command:

Last edited by BenK; 27-11-2017 at 20:07. Reason: Photo idiocy

I'm gone.

Nice!

I'm Ben.

Progress continues, glacially1. The Schröder is now mounted2:

And I've now got one of these on order:

Having read around the subject until my eyes just about fell out, I reached the conclusion that choosing a cartridge is more-or-less a crap shoot, given that it seems practically impossible to demo one in your own system. My decision was therefore based on:

• Soundsmith carts seem to be a pouplar match for Schröder tonearms. (Frank Schröder and Peter Lederman are mates, apparently.)
    • Reviews - published and on forums - seem to be universally positive.
    • Similarly, feedback seems to indicate that it's no too finicky on set-up, relatively speaking3.
    • The fixed price manufaturer rebuilt seems quite reasonable to me, and very reassuring. Soundsmith's reputation for customer service also appears to be excellent.
    • I found one ex-demo for a bit over half price. This should mean that in the worst case scenario - I don't get on with it - I should hopefully be able to move it on without losing too much. And who doesn't like a bargain?

Review will follow once it arrives and I've got it set up. Excited!

1. That 'life' thing keeps getting in the way, specifically the 'work' bit. Still, hifi purchases don't fund themselves...
    2. I don't mind admitting that drilling holes in something delicate and expensive was a bit twitchy; no dramas, however. (Thanks Dad!)
    3. I've no issue with investing some effort in getting it right initially; something that requires constant tweaking is definitely not desirable.

+ Reply to Thread