I’m currently using a Nagaoka MP110 on my 2016 Rega Planar 3, the output is then fed to a Schiit Mani phono stage, the combination considering the relatively modest cost gives a pretty decent sound quality. Having been a previous user, over a period of 30+ years, of moving coil cartridges I am hankering after getting another. The Mani has gain settings to accommodate MM and MC cartridges but I’m a little concerned over MC compatibility as the input impedance on the MC input is only 47ohms, considerably lower than the norm used by other manufacturers of 100-200ohms. From what I’ve read online the load impedance for a good match should be 10-20x the cartridges coil impedance, as most MCs coil impedance is around 10-12ohms 47ohms is too low, enough to mess up the frequency response at HF making for a sharp or brittle sound. I emailed Schiit with my concerns and tbh they could not give me any constructive help at all particularly when I asked why they set the value so low. If I get a moving coil I do not want to change the phono stage again. What I really want to know, is it possible to add some extra impedance to the preamp without going into the preamp circuitry. I remember some time ago seeing some loading plugs but I think they were to add capacitance loading not impedance, is there anything similar to add impedance ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk