+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Moving Coil Cartridge loading

Bigman80 Guest

These a Denon just popped up on the Private Exhibitions page. That's usable through your Shiit in MM.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm steve.

Default Moving Coil Cartridge loading

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    These a Denon just popped up on the Private Exhibitions page. That's usable through your Shiit in MM.

If you’re talking about a DL110 I had one at the start of the year but I sold it on when I bought the Nagaoka MP110. The Denon is a pretty good cartridge but how it performs depends on the genre of music you listen to, if you like solo instruments, string quartets etc it’s a lovely cartridge, but give it some heavy rock or electronica and it just doesn’t cut it for me, also from new it takes ages to break in, at least 50 hours ime although it’s reasonable after about 20, a great stylus which tracks well and should last well, just not my cup of tea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by steve-z; 16-11-2017 at 18:08.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z View Post
    If you’re talking about a DL110 I had one at the start of the year but I sold it on when I bought the Nagaoka MP110. The Denon is a pretty good cartridge but how it performs depends on the genre of music you listen to, if you like solo instruments, string quartets etc it’s a lovely cartridge, but give it some heavy rock or electronica and it just doesn’t cut it for me, also from new it takes ages to break in, at least 50 hours ime although it’s reasonable after about 20, a great stylus which tracks well and should last well, just not my cup of tea.

Fair enough. If you've experienced it that's the best judgement.

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    You might "expect parity" but you don't always get it, especially with lower priced phono stages. One of the best and least expensive phono stages which gives excellent results with MM and MC is the Rothwell Rialto. Great value.

You can buy a Rialto for less than the price of a MC step up and I would suggest give better results than the Schitt and step up.
    Tbh Dave I’ve never heard of the Rothwell Rialto, Reliant Rialto :-) Yes!
    Internet search just done shows it has an excellent reputation , the reason I’ve never come across it is probably the price, I’m afraid being a pensioner I have to baulk at paying out £380 for a phono stage, no matter how good, it’s hardly budget priced, the last 3 phono stages I’ve owned, namely the CA640p, Graham Slee Gramamp 2 and the Mani are all below £150, although I believe the Slee is now £180.
    I’m beginning to wonder whether I’d be better advised to try to pick up a pair of Ortofon T-5 transformers and using them into the Mani’s MM stage, quite hard to find these days, wish I’d have bought a bucketful when they were £20 a pair.

Bigman80 Guest

Tbh Dave I’ve never heard of the Rothwell Rialto, Reliant Rialto :-) Yes!
    Internet search just done shows it has an excellent reputation , the reason I’ve never come across it is probably the price, I’m afraid being a pensioner I have to baulk at paying out £380 for a phono stage, no matter how good, it’s hardly budget priced, the last 3 phono stages I’ve owned, namely the CA640p, Graham Slee Gramamp 2 and the Mani are all below £150, although I believe the Slee is now £180.
    I’m beginning to wonder whether I’d be better advised to try to pick up a pair of Ortofon T-5 transformers and using them into the Mani’s MM stage, quite hard to find these days, wish I’d have bought a bucketful when they were £20 a pair.

To be fair to the Mani, it's reputation is excellent so going for a headamp is probably gonna be the best option. Any good with a soldering iron? There's plenty of Hong Kong sellers on eBay with very very cheap parts.

I'm Geoff.

I’m beginning to wonder whether I’d be better advised to try to pick up a pair of Ortofon T-5 transformers
    I wouldn't bother. They and the Sony HA-T10 version are not very good. Most budget SUT's are rubbish.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

the Ortofon T-5's are not that good imo. tough getting suts o9f any quality for under 200 used. The firebottle mm/mc in the sales section would do you but its over budget. I had one once and they are very good, especially the mc imho
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I wouldn't bother. They and the Sony HA-T10 version are not very good. Most budget SUT's are rubbish.
    A friend of mine has had a pair of T5s for almost 30 years paired with an ATF5 and it always sounded superb to my ears playing into his Rogers valve integrated amp.

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    To be fair to the Mani, it's reputation is excellent so going for a headamp is probably gonna be the best option. Any good with a soldering iron? There's plenty of Hong Kong sellers on eBay with very very cheap parts.

Are you referring to a kit of some kind, and yes I’m pretty good with a soldering iron.

Bigman80 Guest

Are you referring to a kit of some kind, and yes I’m pretty good with a soldering iron.

I'll post you a link.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast