+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Moving Coil Cartridge loading

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    I'll post you a link.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F282652959312

These are excellent. Just need the power supply which I'm sure Alan (Firebottle) can recommend, a cheap case and a couple of RCAs.

I'm steve.

These are excellent. Just need the power supply which I'm sure Alan (Firebottle) can recommend, a cheap case and a couple of RCAs.

Interesting and very cheap, thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bigman80 Guest

No worries. They are good as I say, very cheap. Can't buy all the components for the price of the whole thing lol

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z View Post
    A friend of mine has had a pair of T5s for almost 30 years paired with an ATF5 and it always sounded superb to my ears playing into his Rogers valve integrated amp.
    Suit yourself, I thought you were soliciting an opinion. I've used them and compared them to better quality items, so I know their limitations.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Suit yourself, I thought you were soliciting an opinion. I've used them and compared them to better quality items, so I know their limitations.
    It is quite a while since I heard his setup so perceptions may well have changed with time, what was good then may not be now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Tim.

The mani is a very capable MM phono stage. It can do MC but SQ won't be as good.
    Buy a head amp or SUT and use that with Mani in MM mode I'm sure results would be very good.

I'm Alan.

The price is certainly good but I think it would be disappointingly noisy if used as an MC head amp.
    The op-amp used in the Mani is much lower noise.
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    The price is certainly good but I think it would be disappointingly noisy if used as an MC head amp.
    Really?

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z View Post
    I’m beginning to wonder whether I’d be better advised to try to pick up a pair of Ortofon T-5 transformers and using them into the Mani’s MM stage, quite hard to find these days, wish I’d have bought a bucketful when they were £20 a pair.
    Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I wouldn't bother. They and the Sony HA-T10 version are not very good. Most budget SUT's are rubbish.
    Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    the Ortofon T-5's are not that good imo. tough getting suts of any quality for under 200 used.
    My experience of Ortofon T-5s is that they were very good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Yes, that kit doesn't look excellent at all to me. The NE5532 is a great audio op-amp but isn't really suitable for LOMCs. I would be extremely surprised if it performed better than the Shiit.

Back to the OP's original concerns - whether or not the Shiit's 47 ohm input impedance is too low for an Audio Technica cartridge: no, I don't think it is. Whether or not the Shiit's mc performance is good enough, I can't say - but the OP's doubts are based on opinions found online. I'm sure it's possible to find negative opinions online about absolutely anything.
    I would suggest the OP gets the AT cartridge he fancies and tries it with the Shiit, then worry about SUTs or headamps or alternative phonostages if it doesn't sound good. If the problem is the inadequacy of the Shiit, that will apply whatever MC cartridge he buys.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    My experience of Ortofon T-5s is that they were very good.

Yes, that kit doesn't look excellent at all to me. The NE5532 is a great audio op-amp but isn't really suitable for LOMCs. I would be extremely surprised if it performed better than the Shiit.

Back to the OP's original concerns - whether or not the Shiit's 47 ohm input impedance is too low for an Audio Technica cartridge: no, I don't think it is. Whether or not the Shiit's mc performance is good enough, I can't say - but the OP's doubts are based on opinions found online. I'm sure it's possible to find negative opinions online about absolutely anything.
    I would suggest the OP gets the AT cartridge he fancies and tries it with the Shiit, then worry about SUTs or headamps or alternative phonostages if it doesn't sound good. If the problem is the inadequacy of the Shiit, that will apply whatever MC cartridge he buys.
    I'm sure I've seen that board utilised in a MM stage enable MC Compatibility. It may have had a different Opamp. The one I heard was very good.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast