+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Moving Coil Cartridge loading

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    You might "expect parity" but you don't always get it, especially with lower priced phono stages. One of the best and least expensive phono stages which gives excellent results with MM and MC is the Rothwell Rialto. Great value.

You can buy a Rialto for less than the price of a MC step up and I would suggest give better results than the Schitt and step up.
    Thanks for the vote of confidence - much appreciated
    Quote Originally Posted by steve-z View Post
    I get the feeling that if I’m seriously going to go the MC route I may need to bite the bullet and start saving up my pennies for a Rothwell Rialto :-). I don’t suppose they do a “try before you buy” scheme like Graham Slee does ?
    Hi-Fi Dave is a dealer for Rothwell and has the Rialto in stock. I'm not sure if he does a "try before you buy" scheme.

There is one other possibility: you could use a headamp to raise the output of your chosen LOMC to MM level, then feed the signal into your Shiit. I make one called the Headspace.
    http://www.rothwellaudioproducts.co....c_headamp.html

A forum member acquired one very recently and posted his findings on another thread.
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...hwell-MC/page2
    post #13

I'm Dave.

Personally, I don't think the Schiit is good enough to justify spending money on a MC step-up/x'mer. I believe you would get better results with Rothwell Rialto MM/MC phono stage or the new Rega Fono MC.

I'm Alan.

I get the feeling that if I’m seriously going to go the MC route I may need to bite the bullet and start saving up my pennies for a Rothwell Rialto :-). I don’t suppose they do a “try before you buy” scheme like Graham Slee does ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Steve you are welcome to try my Firebottle OTP Mk2 MC/MM phono stage with no obligation, as and when you have an MC, to see how things sit in the scheme of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Steve you are welcome to try my Firebottle OTP Mk2 MC/MM phono stage with no obligation, as and when you have an MC, to see how things sit in the scheme of things.
    Forums at their best, there you go Steve

I also know Dave (Radlett) and he's a great guy to deal with if you want to go the Rega or Rothwell route.

However, I still think the Nagaoka MP-110/Schiit is a fantastic combination for the money.

That said, having finally set up the Dynavector MC on one of my RP6s I now realise why folks get so addicted to record players and vinyl and end up spending fortunes. The sound is utterly beguiling - I can't stop listening to it

Funny old game......

Cheers

Phil

I'm steve.

Just had another email from a knowledgeable friend who has recommended that I perhaps consider the new Rega Fono MC which he has auditioned in conjunction with an admittedly top flight front end of a Rega Aria/Planar 6, the combination he considered to be exceptional, thoughts ?

I'm steve.

Well I’ve taken the plunge and ordered the ATF7, any change of phono stage is going to have to wait until the New Year which will give me plenty of time to break in the new cartridge, having spoken to one or two others about a possible change if the Schiit Mani doesn’t come up with the goods, consensus points strongly towards the new Rega Fono MC, thankfully I’ve been a long time customer of my local Rega dealer and many times in the past they’ve loaned me gear to try at home, so I will not have to buy blind, should be in for an interesting few weeks.

I'm steve.

Default Moving Coil Cartridge loading

Got a message from Phil Bishop this morning with further feedback on his DV/Mani combination and particularly how pleased he is with it, he also mentioned that he had some specs for the cartridge which advised that it has a coil impedance of 35ohms and 100microhenrys inductance which according to current wisdom would make it more of a mismatch with the Mani than the 12ohm impedance of the ATF7 I’m getting, extremely confusing although it does lead me to suspect (hope) the ATF7/Mani combination may work better than at first thought, remains to be seen, I mean heard :-)
    http://www.cieri.net/Documenti/Catal...e%20(1982).pdf

Last edited by steve-z; 19-11-2017 at 13:36.

RothwellAudio Guest

...he also mentioned that he had some specs for the cartridge which advised that it has a coil impedance of 35ohms and 100microhenrys inductance which according to current wisdom would make it more of a mismatch with the Mani than the 12ohm impedance of the ATF7 I’m getting, extremely confusing although it does lead me to suspect (hope) the ATF7/Mani combination may work better than at first thought...
    In my opinion people get unnecessarily wound-up about load impedances for mc cartridges. A "mis-match" is a lot more likely to simply give you a slightly lower output rather than screw-up the frequency response.
    Er... but I think I've already said that.

I'm steve.

Well the ATF7 arrived today (well done Royal Mail :-) earlier than expected and is now installed and aligned on my P3. I’ve not had more than a cursory listen after checking the setup with my test record. Quite surprised for a fairly low compliance cartridge it comfortably tracked all the high level lateral cuts except for the torture track and even that only mistracked slightly and probably only due to my pressing being not perfectly flat. The most important test, the tracking tests at outer, middle and inner grooves was passed, no problem.
    From the very short audition I gave it before having to go out I think my misgivings about the unsuitability of the Mani can be safely discounted as I can hear nothing that makes me think it is giving anything but a very good account of itself, the comment Andrew made about the low input impedance leading to a drop in volume appears about right, using the Mani on the highest gain setting the volume is quite a bit lower than with the Nagaoka on the high MM setting. As to tonal balance it seems very neutral, comments I’d seen about it being bright and thin sounding straight out of box are not in evidence at all in fact the treble is sweeter than expected, whether that means the low loading has caused a slight treble loss I don’t really know at this point, it will be interesting to see if the balance changes at all as it gets more playing hours under its belt. No doubt I’ll be playing my vinyl to death over the next few days and will probably have a pretty good idea if it’s been worth the change, currently I see nothing to criticise atm and I can’t see me wanting to imminently change the phono stage, will report in more detail after I have had considerably more audition time.

RothwellAudio Guest

Sounds like everything is good
    No doubt after a bit of running in things will get better still.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast