+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Moving Coil Cartridge loading

I'm steve.

Default Moving Coil Cartridge loading

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    Sounds like everything is good
    No doubt after a bit of running in things will get better still.
    The ATF7 is certainly a more detailed cartridge than the Nagaoka MP110 I think mainly by dint of the sharper stylus profile, the extra detail is certainly not there because of extra brightness which is often the case, into the Mani’s low impedance load there does appear to have been a slight depression in treble frequencies, mild but noticeable, I think though it is something I can live with for a while at least and I don’t intend to rush into changing the phono stage at this point, although with the correct input loading I realise it could probably sound a little better, as the detail levels, bass definition and overall clarity and musicality are improved I’m happy with the change, even more so if it improves with running in.
    Update:-
    I noticed with the AT being shallower than the Nagaoka MP110 even after removing the arm height adjuster there was still a downward tilt on the arm from pillar to stylus with the Origin Live mat in place so I’ve put back the std fit Rega wool mat which is 3x thicker than the OL mat which has corrected the tilt so vta should be closer to optimal.
    After listening to a few tracks it appears the change has given a very slight lift to the treble so it was worth doing :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by steve-z; 22-11-2017 at 16:12.

I'm Dave.

The ATF7 is a really nice cartridge for the money.

I've just taken on Audio Technica as a range and they are all very good value.

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post

Got mine from a guy called Dave in Dartmouth, not you by any chance ?

I'm Dave.

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post

How do the other ATs compare to the AT-F7. I have 2 F7s and have found them to be quite deck friendly while other cartridges don't always perform on some decks. My experience with MCs has been such that I have been reluctant to spend large because of that.

I'm steve.

Just in case anyone else is wanting to dip their toes in the water with a bargain moving coil there’s a brand new ATF2 on ebay (it says unwanted gift) with a starting bid of £99, no bids so far and just over 2 days to go.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audio-Tec....c100005.m2219

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by cre009 View Post
    How do the other ATs compare to the AT-F7. I have 2 F7s and have found them to be quite deck friendly while other cartridges don't always perform on some decks. My experience with MCs has been such that I have been reluctant to spend large because of that.
    Difficult to answer that as the range is large with MCs and MMs but all are very good to excellent. Basically, you get what you pay for.

None of the MCs are 'difficult' because of their reasonable compliance.

montesquieu Guest

I have a Schitt Mani in my study system.

The MM stage is very good indeed for the money. It sounds absolutely fantastic (far better than the total cost could suggest) with a Shure SC35C on a heavy headshell.

However the MC stage, even used with a cartridge like an Ortofon SPU that should be well suited to 47 ohm, is not so good. It sounds FAR better with even a modest step-up transformer into the MM stage.

That's what I'd recommend if you decide to keep the Mani. I certainly wouldn't be buggering about getting it modified for different impedances - not worth the effort. I think what your are hearing is its inadequacies for MC.

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    I have a Schitt Mani in my study system.

The MM stage is very good indeed for the money. It sounds absolutely fantastic (far better than the total cost could suggest) with a Shure SC35C on a heavy headshell.

However the MC stage, even used with a cartridge like an Ortofon SPU that should be well suited to 47 ohm, is not so good. It sounds FAR better with even a modest step-up transformer into the MM stage.

That's what I'd recommend if you decide to keep the Mani. I certainly wouldn't be buggering about getting it modified for different impedances - not worth the effort. I think what your are hearing is its inadequacies for MC.
    I’ve decided against modifying because it sound pretty good as is, there is a bit of smoothing in the treble due to the low impedance loading but I can live with it for the moment until I can raise the cash for a Rega FONO MC which allows a good choice of loadings and from reviews I’ve seen sounds excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z View Post
    Got mine from a guy called Dave in Dartmouth, not you by any chance ?
    Most likely to be Dave Cawley of Sound HiFi, Dartmouth.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast