+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tresham DR-102 Power amplifier with no Power Supply...HELP!!!

I'm Paul.

The 2 massive caps are rated at 80v and the smaller caps fornthe low current section 100v. The output devices are J50 and J135, 2 of each in parallel for each channel. These are rated at 160v and 7 amps each. There was a picture on the web showing 50v dc for the high current section and 80v dc for the low current section. This would seem to be about right if the amp was rated at 300 watts (312 peak, roughly 150 RMS) into 8 ohms. I believe that the orignal intention for these amps were for PA systems and designed to be robust.
    Last edited by Primalsea; 16-11-2017 at 07:30.
    ~Paul~

I'm Don.

Quote Originally Posted by guy View Post
    http://www.audioasylumtrader.com/ca/...mplifier/61863

has some details on the power, also has the name of the founder of the company - he may be worth trying to find.
    Hi Guy, that dialogue from that forum/website isn't exactly true...because of the restrictions imposed, and rightly so, on mentioning a certain Twat, I cannot elaborate..
    although it was the bigger amp Tannoy's were interested in not the DR-102...DR-102 is a scaled down version of the SR-404...SR-404 was the only decent amp that could drive their Larger Tannoy's at the time..Tresham tamed the Mosfet amp!

I'm Don.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalsea View Post
    The 2 massive caps are rated at 80v and the smaller caps fornthe low current section 100v. The output devices are J50 and J135, 2 of each in parallel for each channel. These are rated at 160v and 7 amps each. There was a picture on the web showing 50v dc for the high current section and 80v dc for the low current section. This would seem to be about right if the amp was rated at 300 watts (312 peak, roughly 150 RMS) into 8 ohms. I believe that the orignal intention for these amps were for PA systems and designed to be robust.
    Hi Paul
    We're making some progress here...
    2 things, if you look at that ebay Tresham kit for sale right now, (Over priced BTW) you'll notice the power supply going to the amp is made by Avondale...See the sticker..:-)
    I've send Avondale an email..waiting for a reply re. the elusive power supply...

also, here is a list of components we need...not sure if the values are correct...

Toroidal 35V x 2 300VA RS 123-4029
    Toroidal 18V x 2 120VA (3.33A) RS 223-8033
    2A 200V Bridge rectifier RS 629-3728
    2 x 4700uF 50V capacitors RS 711-1526 (Twin pack)
    Toroidal 67V x 2 1A (120VA)
    Case
    IEC chassis mount plug
    20mm fuse holder
    Neon indicator RS 786-4384

Put that in yer pipe and smoke it!
    We might be able to resurect the holy grail with this thread!

All the best
    Don

I'm Don.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalsea View Post
    Ah Paul, the earlier kit was designed specifically for Studio use...but yes, ur right, they where and still are bullet proof!

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by donmarrese View Post
    Hi Paul
    We're making some progress here...
    2 things, if you look at that ebay Tresham kit for sale right now, (Over priced BTW) you'll notice the power supply going to the amp is made by Avondale...See the sticker..:-)
    I've send Avondale an email..waiting for a reply re. the elusive power supply...

also, here is a list of components we need...not sure if the values are correct...

Toroidal 35V x 2 300VA RS 123-4029
    Toroidal 18V x 2 120VA (3.33A) RS 223-8033
    2A 200V Bridge rectifier RS 629-3728
    2 x 4700uF 50V capacitors RS 711-1526 (Twin pack)
    Toroidal 67V x 2 1A (120VA)
    Case
    IEC chassis mount plug
    20mm fuse holder
    Neon indicator RS 786-4384

Put that in yer pipe and smoke it!
    We might be able to resurect the holy grail with this thread!

All the best
    Don
    I suspect that you may not need the 18v transformer, 4700uf caps and rectifier as these are just fed through the power amp and into the matching preamp. If you dont have the preamp, or you have the separate preamp psu these are not needed I think. It is possible that the pre amp supply also fed the relay and protection board, meaning that i was wrong about needing 24v dc. I need to did my DR102 out the loft and read my notes from when I stripped it down.

Stay tuned.
    ~Paul~

I'm guy.

Hi Guy, that dialogue from that forum/website isn't exactly true...because of the restrictions imposed, and rightly so, on mentioning a certain Twat, I cannot elaborate..
    although it was the bigger amp Tannoy's were interested in not the DR-102...DR-102 is a scaled down version of the SR-404...SR-404 was the only decent amp that could drive their Larger Tannoy's at the time..Tresham tamed the Mosfet amp!
    Hi Donmarrese,

Primalsea wanted to know the power output of the amp, the site that I linked to contains that information.

This site:
    http://audiotools.com/en_dead_to.html
    seems to confirm that Tresham was founded by (and sold to Tannoy by) the person that you so obviously have an axe to grind with.

Also, I don't think that it is particularly good form to use such insulting terms - not least because it reflects on yourself.

Guy.

I'm Don.

Guy, I speak to the other founder member on a regular basis, and if you knew what I know, you'd agree with me.
    I'll pm my mob and I will enlighten you further,
    No axe to grind...

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

I'm Paul.

Quite a few years ago Tannoy emailed me the schematics for the amp, bit I lost them. I asked again recently but apprently now it is not their policy to provide such sensitive technical data on their products - A amp they not made for decades!

One thing did occur to me is that it may be the case that the low current section regulator outputs 80 volts, so the peak voltage of the transformer will have to be higher than this. The output voltage of the regulator should be established first before buying the transformer.
    ~Paul~

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Guy, I speak to the other founder member on a regular basis, and if you knew what I know, you'd agree with me.
    I'll pm my mob and I will enlighten you further,
    No axe to grind...

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Ignoring personalities - and one in particular - I understand Tresham was sold totally to Tannoy and this included all documentation, drawings and so on. This individual wasn't with Tannoy for very long my dealer-pal tells me and, apart from a generally very good review in one of the 'Choice amp books, Tannoy quietly abandoned production a short while later I understand.

Maybe it's too much bother for Tannoy for someone to look through old files thirty five years on, but if they hold the schematics and so on, they should be willing to help surely? Maybe they've also destroyed all the old paperwork and designs for units that they didn't continue with?
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Adam.

This may well be the case - namely that whilst people at Tannoy may be more than willing to help, they simply cannot because the information is no longer avaiable.

I still remember the number of emails we received when I was at Goodmans, asking for circuit diagrams for old Module 90 receivers and the like. We'd have loved to have helped, but the information had been binned years previously.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast