Closed Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: german hifi dealers!!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    I was referring to the time in 1967 when we kicked the World Champs asses, they were totally outclassed by Scotland, keepie uppie in the middle of the park , sitting on the ball, in fact most of the Scotland team fell out with Jim Baxter as he was more interested in taking the micky than actually scoring, they could/should have won by 5 or 6 goals but with his antics it was only 3-2 but England were greatly flattered by that result.

Glyn Edwards described the game's most famous incident the following Monday in The Herald: "I shall cherish for a long time the memory of Baxter slowing down the game to almost walking pace, insouciantly juggling the ball with instep, forehead and knees while Stiles, no more than a couple of yards away, bobbed up and down, unsure whether to make his challenge at knee or head level."

Its on Youtube if you're interested
    Lol, yes I knew what you were referring to. I just couldn't remember if it happened in '66, sometime after the World Cup, or the following year. And yes, that was funny, but I guess England had the last laugh, as we'd still won hee-haw that mattered - and unfortunately little has changed in that respect since!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Let's not turn this into a political discussion, guys.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Kevin.

It started life that way, but I can understand the request(s).
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Geoff.

This thread is just clattering along awkwardly, to no obvious benefit!

Further contentious posts may be deleted.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf-2007 View Post
    Obviously not. Had I been the dealer a low ball offer half his asking price would have been politely ignored.
    Yes but as I already said 800 was not a low ball offer, it may be in Germany but how would I know?
    How do you politely ignore someone? It must be hard to convey the politeness ?
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    This thread is just clattering along awkwardly, to no obvious benefit!

Further contentious posts may be deleted.
    Are you talking about Scottish football ?
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

All political comments have been removed.

Guys, I won't say it again - the hi-fi section of the forum is NOT for discussing political matters. If you want to do that, start a thread in Abstract Chat. Now, let's get the thread back on track.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm charles.

I've noticed German dealers selling second hand Sony ES cd players at very high prices, comparatively speaking.

Yes, they do like to 'milk it'... But then, if they've usually got no problem achieving their asking price for vintage gear (as the hi-fi scene in Germany is a different animal to what it is here, as is the case in Italy, Greece, along with the US and Japan), with well-heeled enthusiasts not shy of spending their cash, then why should they charge less?

That said, I can understand what irked Jamie, although he didn't help himself behaving as he did.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Gary.

Oh for heaven's sake!
    Marco, what ARE we allowed to post in this thread? I have had a couple of posts disappear, and I have just watched another one - should have been #50 - vanish before my eyes. And it was a very pertinent one too. There are very probably others too.
    The fact is, it is a bit of a non-thread. It isn't really about hi-fi, or even hi-fi prices. In reality, the thread kicked off with an ill-judged anecdote which the OP presumably thought would amuse enough people to make it worthwhile. However, some people found it cringe-worthy, shaming or even offensive. So how are they to respond? Pretend they find it funny? Pretend it is about football? Don't post at all (which rather defeats the object if it being a forum)? Or what? I know you don't like overtly political comment on the forum, Marco, but where the original post is of an overtly political nature (ie. a story about calling a German hi-fi dealer "Fritz" and talking about the war), what's a girl to do?
    IB

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast