Closed Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: german hifi dealers!!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    I was referring to the time in 1967 when we kicked the World Champs asses, they were totally outclassed by Scotland, keepie uppie in the middle of the park , sitting on the ball, in fact most of the Scotland team fell out with Jim Baxter as he was more interested in taking the micky than actually scoring, they could/should have won by 5 or 6 goals but with his antics it was only 3-2 but England were greatly flattered by that result.

Glyn Edwards described the game's most famous incident the following Monday in The Herald: "I shall cherish for a long time the memory of Baxter slowing down the game to almost walking pace, insouciantly juggling the ball with instep, forehead and knees while Stiles, no more than a couple of yards away, bobbed up and down, unsure whether to make his challenge at knee or head level."

Its on Youtube if you're interested
    Lol, yes I knew what you were referring to. I just couldn't remember if it happened in '66, sometime after the World Cup, or the following year. And yes, that was funny, but I guess England had the last laugh, as we'd still won hee-haw that mattered - and unfortunately little has changed in that respect since!

Marco.
    http://www.thestainedglasscompany.com

"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

Let's not turn this into a political discussion, guys.

Marco.

"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

I'm GettingFunky.

It started life that way, but I can understand the request(s).
    Kevin

Funkified Technics SL1200 Mk2 (Funk FX-1200+, Techne-Audio modified DL-103/AT33PTG/II/, Funk Firm "Strata" platter, "Spin" bearing and BO!NG Isolation feet, MCRU/LDA PSU).
    Pioneer PD-S703.
    Battery powered Beresford Caiman II.
    Firebottle KIN fitted with NOS Telefunken Valves.
    Firebottle Monoblocks fitted with NOS Telefunken Valves.
    Electric Beach FH3 with Taket BatPure super tweeters.
    Graham Slee Solo Ultra Linear Headphone amp.
    Sennheiser HD540 Reference II & HD650.
    DIY Klotz MC5000/MS Audio interconnects.
    Talk cable 3 speaker cable.
    Neotech hybrid mains cables from MCRU
    Power Inspired AG1500

I'm Geoff.

This thread is just clattering along awkwardly, to no obvious benefit!

Further contentious posts may be deleted.
    Mr. Tact!

Main system: MMs/ADCs/Low output MC's/One rare Japanese SUT/One scarce British phono stage/various tonearms/hefty Japanese DD TT and hefty Japanese BD TT and small British BD TT. 4 CD players/2 jitter buster/2 DACs/Valve buffer. TVC stepped attenuator or valve pre-amp or solid state pre-amp. Current dumping power-amp or either of two Class A SS power-amp or Class A EL34 valve monos or big Japanese (part Class A) integrated. Big dual concentric speakers/Smaller dual concentric speakers/Two way British compacts and full range speakers, amongst others. And too much more to list!

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf-2007 View Post
    Obviously not. Had I been the dealer a low ball offer half his asking price would have been politely ignored.
    Yes but as I already said 800 was not a low ball offer, it may be in Germany but how would I know?
    How do you politely ignore someone? It must be hard to convey the politeness ?
    My System/ Yamaha NS1000M speakers, Townsend Elite rock 2 turntable,,Alphason HR-100S-MCS tonearm,Ortofon Cadenza Black,Decca C4E cartridge ,Sony 700ES Amp,Sony X555ES CD Player, Nakamichi ca5 pre amp ,

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    This thread is just clattering along awkwardly, to no obvious benefit!

Further contentious posts may be deleted.
    Are you talking about Scottish football ?
    My System/ Yamaha NS1000M speakers, Townsend Elite rock 2 turntable,,Alphason HR-100S-MCS tonearm,Ortofon Cadenza Black,Decca C4E cartridge ,Sony 700ES Amp,Sony X555ES CD Player, Nakamichi ca5 pre amp ,

All political comments have been removed.

Guys, I won't say it again - the hi-fi section of the forum is NOT for discussing political matters. If you want to do that, start a thread in Abstract Chat. Now, let's get the thread back on track.

Marco.

I'm charles.

I've noticed German dealers selling second hand Sony ES cd players at very high prices, comparatively speaking.

Yes, they do like to 'milk it'... But then, if they've usually got no problem achieving their asking price for vintage gear (as the hi-fi scene in Germany is a different animal to what it is here, as is the case in Italy, Greece, along with the US and Japan), with well-heeled enthusiasts not shy of spending their cash, then why should they charge less?

That said, I can understand what irked Jamie, although he didn't help himself behaving as he did.

Marco.

I'm Gary.

Oh for heaven's sake!
    Marco, what ARE we allowed to post in this thread? I have had a couple of posts disappear, and I have just watched another one - should have been #50 - vanish before my eyes. And it was a very pertinent one too. There are very probably others too.
    The fact is, it is a bit of a non-thread. It isn't really about hi-fi, or even hi-fi prices. In reality, the thread kicked off with an ill-judged anecdote which the OP presumably thought would amuse enough people to make it worthwhile. However, some people found it cringe-worthy, shaming or even offensive. So how are they to respond? Pretend they find it funny? Pretend it is about football? Don't post at all (which rather defeats the object if it being a forum)? Or what? I know you don't like overtly political comment on the forum, Marco, but where the original post is of an overtly political nature (ie. a story about calling a German hi-fi dealer "Fritz" and talking about the war), what's a girl to do?
    IB

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast