+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Triode mode Prima Luna

I'm Shaun.

Default Triode mode Prima Luna

OK, I have now had my Prima Luna pre/power combo for around one year and although it hasn't been used very much at all, I am now used to the sound. Way back when, I moaned quite a bit about using it in triode mode rather than ultralinear as I just didn't think it sounded very good but last night changed that for the two of us. We warmed up the system and started listening to an album on CD by Greyboy but this time at a fairly low level of volume. I then switched it to triode mode and it sounded bloody glorious. I can only deduce from that, that it doesn't like playing in triode mode unless the going is good. My next attempt will be playing vinyl in triode mode. We think that maybe we should try out a bit of Quantic, maybe the 5th Exotic on vinyl. Looking forward to it.

I'm Shaun.

Well, been listening to vinyl in triode mode for two days now and Jesus, what a difference.

Albums were: Porcupine Tree 'Signify', Spanky Wilson and the Quantic Soul Orchestra 'I'm Thankful' and Sting '57th and 9th'.

The first thing that smacked me in the face was the huge difference in bass quality. I have obviously been completely oblivious to what the Denon DL103 can produce on electric bass guitar but not any longer. The quality is sodding astonishing.
    There is also so much more depth and extension to the bass. The midband is now so natural and relaxed and way more realistic. The treble is still there but under much greater control. This is how I remember EL34's sounding from decades ago.
    The whole sound is now very valve having lost every bit of its frantic, rather sterile sound. When I bought this power amp and got it home I did think that I had never heard a valve amp sound like this before. Now I know why.

The sound has now gone from a rather frantic digital presentation to what I can only describe as real tonally laid back quality. This is what I was expecting all along. So glad I didn't return it though cannot think why. Yes, this sound would not suit all but it definitely suits me.

I'm Shane.

Nice one!

S.

I'm John.

Have you noticed any loss of power Shaun?

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJo View Post
    Have you noticed any loss of power Shaun?
    Oh yes John, a considerable reduction in power which is probably why I am now finding things OK because I am listening at a lower overall volume.

I'm Lawrence.

I tried triode mode with my Yarland and initially thought the bass was much tighter but after a while realised there just wasn't much of it. I did play at the same (moderate) volume though.

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Tapatalk

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    I tried triode mode with my Yarland and initially thought the bass was much tighter but after a while realised there just wasn't much of it. I did play at the same (moderate) volume though.

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Tapatalk
    Yeah Lawrence I wonder why things are so different. Mine has gone up a whole level in quality not just in the bass but mostly in the bass. The presence and definition is massive now compared to ultralinear mode which is brash and quite unpleasant. There is also much more heft to the low frequencies which is just not there in ultralinear. Altogether a way better sounding amp now. I have of course had to turn up the volume a little though.

I'm John.

Output impedance is probably lower in triode mode which should improve the bass definition.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJo View Post
    Output impedance is probably lower in triode mode which should improve the bass definition.
    OK John. I have to take others words for such things as my knowledge of electricity and its mysticism is beyond me.

I'm John.

Have a read at the technical bits in the grey boxes including the graphs. Frequency response will be different for UL vs Triode, which tap you're using (8 or 4 ohm) and the load your speakers present to the amp.

http://www.absolutesounds.com/pdf/ma...0PrPowerar.pdf

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast