+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SACD, how do you REALLY feel about it?

I'm Russell.

Default SACD, how do you REALLY feel about it?

I recently bought a used CD player, a Cary 306.200. Which sold for a tidy sum when new, and at 5 years old it plays CD’s sublimely. (Is that a word?). I could not be happier with its performance! But it does not play SACD’s, and when I was shopping I pondered buying a unit that did play SACD, or perhaps a universal player. I reasoned that I don’t presently own any SACD’s or DVDA’s, so why pay for the hardware to play them? Plus, a search on available titles proved lacking in the music I like.

So what am I missing? Is it really great? Does it trounce regular CD’s? Is it worth the trouble even with limited titles? Or can you take it or leave it? I see a lot of you listing SACD’s in the “What’s Spinning?”, thread. Please share your thoughts!

Russell

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm gone.

I've had a few SACD-capable players over the years.
    Waste of time, imho.

I didn't really notice any difference, the individual recording differences between albums were way bigger than any SACD benefits I might (or might not) have heard.

And, worse, they brought out an OCD element in my personality that isn't usually in evidence - despite not really hearing any worthwhile improvement I found I was restricting my musical diet to SACD recordings! And buying more and more of the damned expensive things. And usually the best albums are not available on SACD anyway.

What a muffin.

So, no SACD for me, thanks.

I'm James.

DSD whether it comes from an SACD or a file from a PC sounds dull and lifeless to me.
    I too don't get what the fuss is about, give me good ol' PCM anytime.

Jim.

I'm Grant.

I can play sacd but almost always play the cd layer. Not a big fan
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

SACD was yesterday's con.

The new con is MQA. I wouldn't buy into that, either.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Graham.

I sold all my SACD's,went through a phase of buying quite a few,but as mentioned before I just didn't get them and preferred the original CD,did make a tidy profit on them though
    Analogue. Basis signature 2200,Basis Vector 4.Koetsu Red,Koetsu SUT,NVO SPA 11.
    Digital. Denon 2900,Jolida FX 11
    Amp. Pathos Logos,Minidsp dirac 22A.
    Speakers. Amphion Xenon.
    Airlink CBS 2000 bps

I'm Malcolm.

Much depends on mastering quality - and lots of that survives onto the CD layer, but the best ones are IMHO sublime. I'm fairly relaxed, though, about whether I listen to vinyl, SACD, CD (usually ripped) FLAC, ALAC, MP3 and whether I own or stream.

SACD is still the best way to deliver discrete multichannel music - and this for me is its principal raison d'etre. I despair of Blu-ray discs (and some DVD-A) that require on-screen navigation to access audio only content (Sgt. Pepper's, The Division Bell are some of the main villains here). Classical in surround is my big driver for continuing to buy SACD - a genre that is very well served by SACD. Definitely worth it.

Technics SL1210 MkII / SME 309 / Timestep PSU / Achromat / Denon DL-304
    Phono stage PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter
    Lossless / MP3 / Tidal > Roon > Bryston BDP-1USB > Marantz NA-11S1
    Marantz UD7007 SACD/Blu-ray/DVD-V/DVD-A
    Toshiba BDX1200 Blu-ray player (Zone A & Region 1)
    Audiolab 8200AP pre-amp/processor
    Power amp: Arcam P7
    B&W 804S stereo (bi-amped), HTM4S centre, CDMSNT surrounds (5.0)
    Sennheiser HD 700 headphones
    Panasonic PT-AT6000 projector

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by m10 View Post
    Much depends on mastering quality - and lots of that survives onto the CD layer, but the best ones are IMHO sublime. I'm fairly relaxed, though, about whether I listen to vinyl, SACD, CD (usually ripped) FLAC, ALAC, MP3 and whether I own or stream.

SACD is still the best way to deliver discrete multichannel music - and this for me is its principal raison d'etre. I despair of Blu-ray discs (and some DVD-A) that require on-screen navigation to access audio only content (Sgt. Pepper's, The Division Bell are some of the main villains here). Classical in surround is my big driver for continuing to buy SACD - a genre that is very well served by SACD. Definitely worth it.
    Sorry, this is a bit of a YES / NO / MAYBE answer.

SACD is, and can be fabulous with the right Transport (not mentioning what brand). After spending what I consider a fortune on a Transport, I’m really disappointed as to the cost of SACD (only) disks “Not Hybrid”. The Japanese market is very different to ours, as they have embraced the technology and here in the UK finding the artist that you want is a bit of “Hit and Miss affair”, and it costs the earth.

I think my advice is...... if I was as informed then, as I am now.... I probably wouldn’t have spent so much money on this technology. I guess the only bonus is.... with a decent Transport, CD also sounds FAB.

The really irritating thing is ...... waiting 5 weeks or more + import duty to buy SACD from Japan, is a PAIN!!!!

So...... as always, I head back to good old Vinyl when all else fails.

Peter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Neil.

Pick your poison: potential phase or impulse response issues (PCM) or ultrasonic noise issues affecting downstream components (DSD).
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Although I still own a SACD Player, I have not used it for quite a while now due mainly to what others have said, your limited in material to play.
    I have though experienced the diffrence between both technologies, and it can be quite noticable, unfortunetly though in my honest opinion, SACD came out at least 5 years too late for it to have ever caught on mainstream, hence the reason why I [and I suspect many others here] own very few SACD disks compared to regular CD.
    A...
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast