+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: What if China made first contact with aliens?

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    If we are the highest form of life, the Universe is in real trouble.
    I suspect that the universe will carry on just fine with or without the likes of us, actually!

I agree with Geoff () that life is just an accident, where we part ways is that I don't think it is that unlikely a fluke.
    Life started here quite soon after the Earth coalesced from sun-forming debris, so it surely can't be that unlikely a set of circumstances.

I'm Grant.

I think it is an incredibly unlikely set of circumstances that we did eventually appear. But with so many other potential places where this could happen in a similar way, there s a fair chance that it did at least once,at some time. its not just the huge amount of planets here but an immense timescale too. That doesn't just make it a must tho.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Justin’s video on filters directly addresses this ... there are some big improbabilities without which at least out kind of life would never have emerged. String them together and that big number ‘filters’ down pretty rapidly. Well worth watching certainly were a few new ideas from my perspective.
    I've just now watched that video - and with a growing amount of impatience.

A fundamental underlying assumption seems to be that, to put it simply, technology and technological progress is all about building bigger and better rockets.

That strikes me as very insular thinking based merely upon the current set of circumstances that we find our own society in.
    After 200 years of technology we have built ourselves some fairly basic rockets.
    We then assume that other civilisations which have existed thousands of times longer will have built, wow! HUGE rockets - and where the hell are they?
    We have built some nifty cities and technology infrastructure - so extrapolate that a thousand fold and, once again WOW !! Just imagine. So where are they?

But that is very limited thinking based on the premise that 'progress' is linear, when in fact it is very far from that.
    -- the next great idea comes along and ZAP the whole ball game changes.

Like Terry Pratchett put it when Earthlings complained about umpteen trillion tons of comet ice about to impact Earth and destroy us, the Creator responded by saying "What, are you lot still there, haven't you discovered Slood yet?"
    Well, my premise is that there are a lot of Slood type things, which are game changers and which we haven't got a clue about yet.

So failing to detect bigger and better rockets or technological infrastructure is irrelevant. Although I am not in a position to give details about why as we haven't yet come across any Slood!

I'm Geoff.

From my point of view, I'm quite happy to say that life does not exist anywhere else in the universe and as I suggested before, life on earth is merely a transitory accident that will cease comparatively soon in the grand scale of things.

Humans will never contact any non-terrestrial entity, 'cos there ain't none! Migration to other worlds is just a schoolboy imagining that can never occur. Eventually, long after humanity has disappeared, the sun will go supernova and engulf the earth, which will then become an insignificant cinder! (as opposed to the insignificant blob of mud, water and rock that it is now)
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm gone.

Whoops - https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...rby-exoplanet/
    Interstellar Message Beamed to Nearby Exoplanet - The radio signal directed at a world 12 light-years away included music and math lessons from Earth

Expect the alien invasion fleet to arrive in 25 years!

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Interstellar Message Beamed to Nearby Exoplanet - The radio signal directed at a world 12 light-years away included music and math lessons from Earth

That’s about right, in 25 years I won’t care one way or the other! Let them have it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post

That is where we are going wrong. We are sending music and messages of friendship, the aliens get them and think 'They seem like pleasant people' and carry on with their own business. What we should be doing is hurling abuse and insults at them, that should have them round here and banging on the door in no time.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

If they have any taste, aliens will, upon discovering the record aboard the Voyager satellite, no-doubt send a message: "Urgent, please send more Chuck Berry."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voyager_Golden_Record
    Barry

I'm gone.

Aliens? - so where are they?

Check out this article
    http://nautil.us/issue/42/fakes/is-p...n-intelligence

I'm brian.

Surprised to hear Dr B. Cox say that he s inclined to believe we are alone and life starting on earth was indeed a freak of nature.
    Think myself he s probably wrong but interesting that a scientist has these views. If there is life out there wonder what the hifi s
    like, sound staging could be immense with plenty of space around !

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast