+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What if China made first contact with aliens?

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    Why so far ahead? Why not far behind? Surely there would be a spread of evolutionary advancement - some ahead and some behind.
    I'm assuming a technological society - we couldn't contact them otherwise.

We just happen to have kicked off, say, 200 years ago.
    Aliens have had 14 billion years over which they could have got started in the technological game.
    Therefore they are FAR more likely to be MUCH older than us, and therefore more advanced.

RothwellAudio Guest

Ah yes, I see your point. Still, they wouldn't have appeared and started on their technological development 5 minutes after the big bang.

I'm gone.

True, that was a simplification!

Nonetheless, what's a billion years, or even ten billion, here or there?
    Likelihood is that an alien technology would be totally beyond our understanding.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    It's the inconceivably vast extent of time rather than distance or speed that constrains the likelihood of detecting any aliens.

This. Our moment as a technological society is very very short in cosmological terms.

I'm Geoff.

Not sure if that was serious or not.
    Of course it is. Why would I believe in the existence of something for which there is not the tiniest shred of evidence?

There is more 'proof' that the Tooth Fairy exists!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Of course it is. Why would I believe in the existence of something for which there is not the tiniest shred of evidence?

Simply the odds. What are the chances that there are umpteen billion planets with no life on them and just one planet with life on it? Seems unlikely to me.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post

The mathematical evidence is pretty overwhelming. Even if life on Earth is an aberration cause by sheer chance, and no matter how remote that chance, the universe is so big that the existence of other intelligent life is a mathematical certainty.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Simply the odds.
    But there is nothing to weigh those odds against. Therefore nobody can say what odds (if any) there are.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    The mathematical evidence is pretty overwhelming
    Evidence? There is none. Figures used to suggest something are proof of nothing.

I'm Martin.

We know that intelligent life is possible since we have concrete evidence (us).
    We know the size of the universe and how many galaxies, we can extrapolate from that how many suns, how many habitable planets.

Since it is a fact that intelligent life is possible, then with the other data you can work out the odds of there being more of it out there. And it turns out that the odds of there not being any other intelligent life are infinitesimal.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast